Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th July 2007, 12:25 PM
ihavenoname Offline

Red face Anti-Fedora posts

One thing I have noticed is that any time someone gives anti-fedora critisism they are jumped on for being trolls. 90% of the time the posts DO contain what may be deemed as troll like material. However the posters usually are highly frustrated by a problem and they may simply be displacing the anger on to Fedora.

We were all new to linux at one point and we were all new to Fedora at one point, I think when we get posts like this we should try to focus on helping the OP with the actual problem and ignore the angry remarks. Fedora is not the average distro, it DOES take some getting used to, so I would just like to encourage users to do this. If, after beginning to help the user, it becomes clear that they are only interested in complaining we should all just simply ignore them. This shows more maturity as a community as we will not be willing to sink to their level by flaming them ourselves.

Also, we should understand sometimes the criticisms may have some basis, we should carefully consider them and then if their arguments don't stand along the lines of the fedora policy we should kindly explain that, if it does then maybe we should direct them to the proper place for filing a request for that feature. Reading lots of harshly worded posts puts a sour taste in my mouth as it ruins the community feel, even if I am absolutely annoyed by the poster I still think that we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.
Old 29th July 2007, 12:48 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Thanks! Well said.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 29th July 2007, 01:30 PM
rerushg Offline

Very well spoken; and right on.
As a 7-month-old noob to Linux and a former manager of tech professionals who had to deal with folks who were not (or worse, thought they were), I'd offer this:
These guys generally get it right. There's an old saying about this kind of stuff: "You've got to be easy to work with, but you don't have to be 'easy'." Everybody wants and deserves respect. If that can't or won't be given on a human level then "correction" is in order. No one is obliged to apologize for what they've chosen to do or the product they've chosen to represent.
Further, the best time to deal with "negative attitude" is up front. No sense in dancing around it. If the person can make suitable adjustment then, hey, everybody can get along productively. Otherwise, oh well. I think the admins are particularly good at recognizing when they're dealing with an "oh well" and change the subject quickly to talk of a "more suitable distro" or something. (Guess that's why they make the big bucks, eh?)
As for Fedora-bashing. It happens and will probably keep happening. As long as it's "constructive" it seems okay to me. Frankly, I'd like to see these guys point out more that in about 2 months now some 300,000 active F7 installations are running. That's got to mean that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE, SOMEHOW is getting the darn thing working for them. And they can't ALL be guru's.
Old 30th July 2007, 11:55 PM
kathera Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerushg
Very well spoken; and right on.
As a 7-month-old noob to Linux and a former manager of tech professionals who had to deal with folks who were not (or worse, thought they were), I'd offer this:
These guys generally get it right. There's an old saying about this kind of stuff: "You've got to be easy to work with, but you don't have to be 'easy'." Everybody wants and deserves respect. If that can't or won't be given on a human level then "correction" is in order. No one is obliged to apologize for what they've chosen to do or the product they've chosen to represent.
Further, the best time to deal with "negative attitude" is up front. No sense in dancing around it. If the person can make suitable adjustment then, hey, everybody can get along productively. Otherwise, oh well. I think the admins are particularly good at recognizing when they're dealing with an "oh well" and change the subject quickly to talk of a "more suitable distro" or something. (Guess that's why they make the big bucks, eh?)
As for Fedora-bashing. It happens and will probably keep happening. As long as it's "constructive" it seems okay to me. Frankly, I'd like to see these guys point out more that in about 2 months now some 300,000 active F7 installations are running. That's got to mean that SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE, SOMEHOW is getting the darn thing working for them. And they can't ALL be guru's.
very well spoken, I for one have been using fedora for a month now (I think it was a month, it could be longer than that) and I am able to get it working just fine, I am using linux as a back up plan until I can get a valid copy of windows, but am more than willing to do a dual boot when I get a new Windows XP disk, so I can use windows for my gaming needs and Fedora for everything else and not have to worry about getting a virus.
Old 29th July 2007, 12:59 PM
techmatt Offline

If I understand you correctly your saying "Can't we all just get along?" (Rodney King)

Registered Linux user number 433760
Old 29th July 2007, 01:37 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

There's a big difference between person who asks for help and despite of getting it and their best efforts can't get things working and then vents his/ her frustration, this I understand.

But when you see people with 1 or just handful of posts "venting their frustration", or even worse, those that expect everything handed on a silver platter to them and expect the community to be on their command and bend over backwards to keep them happy like slaves.

None of us gets paid for this and I don't think anyone even in their paid jobs would swallow that kind of attitude and behaviour.

You get what you give.
Old 29th July 2007, 01:50 PM
leigh123linux Online
Retired Administrator

I am so glad that we have tolerant and fair forum

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...457#post837457

https://badges.fedoraproject.org/user/leigh123linux
Old 29th July 2007, 01:53 PM
bob Offline

Hey, he caught me before I'd had my morning coffee!

Old 29th July 2007, 01:55 PM
GallComp Offline
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Hey, he caught me before I'd had my morning coffee!
Mornign Coffee or Morning Beer??????

We all know how do you behave when sober........

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 29th July 2007, 01:58 PM
bob Offline

Sober? I sure I remember how I behave...last time was '73, I think.... And, you put what YOU want in YOUR coffee, I'll put what I want in MINE.

Old 29th July 2007, 02:00 PM
GallComp Offline
Nuke 'em Alfred! Administrator - Starring in Bill & Steve's Bogus Journey

Two sugars and cream, please.... And an english muffin...

"Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy. "

BILL GATES...
Old 29th July 2007, 02:10 PM
gthill Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavenoname
Reading lots of harshly worded posts puts a sour taste in my mouth as it ruins the community feel, even if I am absolutely annoyed by the poster I still think that we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.
I totally agree with this. I was reading a thread this morning which I am sure inspired noname to express his thoughts. Bashing other os's or a users choice of os is a complete waste of space and just reflects an unhealthy zealotry. If negative posters don't outline the problems they have had, there really is no way to help them. Fedora has nothing to prove, only things to improve, focus on that.
Old 29th July 2007, 02:19 PM
SlowJet Offline

I am reminded of Mark Anthony's famous speech.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!
Let me tell you what it means to me!

SJ
Old 29th July 2007, 02:40 PM
stevea Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJet
I am reminded of Mark Anthony's famous speech.
I think Shakespeare deserves the credit for that one, unless you mean the quasi-literate Marc Anthony w/ the Sony recording contract ! FWIW the "Friends, Romans, Countrymen ..." is a brilliant bit of understated crowd-baiting oratory. I'm more of a Cicero fan - at least among the ancient Romans; brilliant lucid writer; completely readable today.
Old 30th July 2007, 07:24 PM
Stian1979 Offline

Thumbs up

I don't get the anti fedora thing.
I concider fedora a beta redhat and it's a dam good and stable beta.
Even it was not a beta it's free, don't expect to get a 100% perfect system for free.

The fedora forum is the linux forum a reply to a post hapends fastest in my limited experience.

I would say fedora is a perfect newbie distro because of it's good forum suport.
Tumbs up to all the smart ones here.

Without fedoraforum.org I would still be using Windows

Can annyone borow me some space on a ftp server?