Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th July 2007, 11:38 PM
fiishi Offline

Error: No valid devices found to create file system

I'm new to Linux and am trying to install Fedora 7 on a brand-new, built machine. I burned Fedora 7, release version, arch x86_64 onto a DVD. Booting from the DVD works fine. When I'm on the screen to choose a partitioning layout, no hard drives are listed and when I continue, I get "An error has occurred - no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems". I tried the option to remove partitions on selected drives and the option to remove all partitions.

I've searched online and I found others who got the same error and were installing to a SATA hard drive. I suspect that is where my problem lies but not sure. I also have an Intel Core2Duo processor so don't know if that could also be the problem.

In my search, some folks suggested commands to be run from the boot prompt. But I don't know how to get to the boot prompt.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

System information:
mb: IP35-E
cpu: Intel Core2Duo E6600 (24.GHz@1066)
mem: 2x1G Kingston DDR2 PC6400 (800 MHz)
video: NVidia GeForce FX5200 PCI 128MB DDR
hd: Seagate Barracuda SATA 400GB 7200rpm 3Gb/s data rate
per1: Phillips CD/DVD-RW
Old 22nd August 2007, 06:08 AM
MNKyDeth Offline

I have no idea why it's even like this as I have just upgraded aswell, and have been using linux for several years I guess I should have put more research into the new hardware....

Anyways as for a response to this thread, the Abit IP35-E does not work with most distro's. None of them seem to be able to detect the sata controller except a few distro's I have tried. I have tried over 50 different distro's and so far have found 3 that work and assume a 4th. Arch, Crux and Sabayon work just fine and I assume gentoo works cause Sabayon did. All other distro's wich I have tried are a no go with this motherboard.

I assume this will change once most distro's get to kernel 2.6.20 or 2.6.21 I beleive somewhere in that range is when it starts to work using the newer kernels. Any distro using a 2.6.20 kernel or newer and not detecting this chipset just kinda baffles me overall.
Old 22nd August 2007, 07:13 PM
fiishi Offline

Thanks for replying. I tried openSuse 10.2 and Ubuntu 7.04. Both of them installed successfully. I'm currently sticking with Ubuntu. However, I sometimes have issues where it fails to boot up/restart. In my search, someone mentioned that there's a known bug with Ubuntu and the ata detection routine that causes the system to take over 2 minutes to boot and thus, a timeout error. Anyway, the guy suggested to add 'irqpoll' to the kernel boot options. I did this and am waiting to see if the boot failure reappears.
Old 22nd August 2007, 07:30 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

fiishi. When you start the DVD you should see a menu ' Install/repair system ', ' Install/repair system - text mode ' etc. , if there is an option to edit on that screen you could try entering the codes at that point. I admit I'm guessing a bit, as despite having run FC4,4&6 on my desktop some conflict occurs with the latest version of Anaconda - the Fedora installer - and it crashes out. Coincidentally I'm now running Linux Mint, which is an Ubuntu derivative, but if I try anything from the Debian side on my laptop I get boot hangs. Another distro you might want to test is SAM Linux, which is based on PClinux but with the XFCE desktop. That installs happily on both my desktop and laptop, so may be more hardware tolerant.

Tags
create, devices, error, file, valid