Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd March 2007, 08:25 AM
xploder Offline

Still having shut down problems.

When I shut down Fedora Core 6 the text is sometimes at the top of my display, sometimes it just says "Local Host Login" and the shuts down and sometimes it shuts down properly. I have searched everywhere for a solution with no luck.

My install is fully up to date, the video card is clean and in perfect working order. The problem only occurs with Fedora. My system specs are; Biostar motherboard with a VIA chipset, Athlon XP 1800, Radeon 7200, LG 1720 flat panel monitor, VIA onboard sound, and VIA onboard sound.

I have tried setting the display as analog since I am using an analog cable with no difference. I checked the kernel last night and it is a 686 kernel. I am out of ideas. It also does not matter what account I am logged into or weather I am using gnome or xfce.

Any ideas?
Old 22nd March 2007, 09:44 AM
stevea Online

Slow down here and post some details.

1/ HOW are you shutting down ? Are you using the shutdown command or logging out and using the tab at the bottom of the GUI login screen, or are you using the System->Shutdown from the top Gnome panel ?

2/ Are you running a gui desktop successfully ?

3/ When you say "the text is sometimes at the top of my display" , what text are you talking about ?

4/ Normally when you shutdown, the X11 gui disappears and you should see many lines describing services being stopped. Are you getting this ? Is this "the text" ?

5/ Analog/Digtal shouldn't make a difference (except digital is better viewing quality). What driver are you using for the Radeon card ? grep for "Driver" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:02 PM
xploder Offline

Sorry I posted in such a hurry. I had to get to work. I will yry and answer the questions one by one.

1/ I am using the system shutdown.

2/ Yes, I am running a GUI desktop sucessfully. I am running Gnome and Xfce.

3/ The lines of text are services being stopped.

4/ I am using the default open source driver that Fedora installed.

This is the only problem I have had with Fedora other than that it is the all out best distro I have ever used. I just can't figure out how to resolve this?

Tags
problems, shut