Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th March 2007, 02:18 PM
faa_70 Offline

Opinion laptop install

Hey guys,
kind of a newb here, just wanted peoples opinion on what i want to do. I just ordered a new Dell insperion intel cpu 1.73ghz with an nvidia video card 7300 256mb, and i wanted to install fc6 running beryl and kiba dock with maybe the baghira theme for kde. How hard to do you think that would be? is that too much? or should i maybe use ubuntu if that's easier? is it all the same? any insight on the matter would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Old 5th March 2007, 03:33 PM
c_07 Offline

Are you looking for which Distro is easier to install, which would run faster, or both? If the latter, it may be of help to know that my laptop has less than half the processor speed of your laptop and it runs fc6 just fine. (Not blazing fast, but fine ).
Installing FC6 is easy; it's just a question of whether your hardware will be supported. You can check this forum for any problems, but you should be fine. Main things to look for are the graphics card, modem, wireless card(s), etc.
Old 5th March 2007, 06:16 PM
SoniX Offline

Take F6. I tried Ubuntu, let's say, it's user friendly, but the install isn't. You can't select your packages when preforming an install. Fedora does. Your graphics card should be just fine, using the livna repo. For your wireless, check the version. Most times it's Intel brand and the have numbers like 3945 and others. Then add the freshrpms repo. and install your wireless drivers like:

Code:
yum install ipw3945 ipw3945d dkms
Note that your number could be different. Before doing this, update your system!

Want more information on installing? Check http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_cor...ion_notes.html It still works for F6!

Tags
install, laptop, opinion