Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th February 2007, 01:13 AM
Rattle618 Offline

Ati x1300 propietary drivers, XGL and beryl

First of all hi everyone, Im new to Fedora and this forum, I've had some experience with linux for a few years and I decided to give FC6 a try. I had some problems with the install but managed to get through it with all the hardware working properly, but I'm unable to get Beryl working. I've been reading about this for a couple of days now and I think I understand the issue, the thing is I can't fix it... so I would greatly apretiate if someone could point me to the right direction. The issue is this:

For what I've been reading I have 2 options to get the 3d desktop enviroment working with my ATI x1300PRO 256mb PCI-e card:
AIGLX+radeon open drivers OR XGL+fglrx closed drivers.

The radeon driver is not working (doesnt bring up my X enviroment), so after a lot of reading I was able to install the fglrx drivers and they are working fine, I was able to enable the 3d acceleration with direct rendering and succesfully test it. But I cant get my X enviroment to work with XGL, it always starts AIGLX (even though I disable it from the xorg.conf) and of course since AIGLX is not supported by the fglrx driver I have to disable the composite extension also on the xorg.conf file and I loose the 3d acceleration...

So basically I need to make the radeon open driver work or find a way to make XGL work with the drivers I have now, I've installed XGL and supposedly configured it with a guide I found but its still not working. The error beryl gives me is:
Composite extension disable (which makes sense...). It's the same on KDE or Gnome.
Old 27th February 2007, 03:10 AM
mwette Offline

The radeon driver does not support the RV5XX chipset. Is there RV5XX info out there to
upgrade the driver? For what it's worth, I saw someone mention on these forums that
ATI is planning to add AIGLX on the next major release (9?).
Old 27th February 2007, 03:45 PM
Rattle618 Offline

Here´s an update:
I followed the guide on this forum one more time (getting XGL or AIGLX to work with compiz OR beryl) and this time I was able to actually install the packages (had to do it manually though), I did the gnome-xgl-switch thingy and this time I got a running X enviroment, which is an improvement... the problem is that now every time I do something related to the 3d acceleration on the card the X server restarts itself, (e.g., glxgears, glxinfo, or even opening the ATI info tab, not to mention actually launching beryl-manager). So I´m still stuck but I think I´m getting there Any help would be awesome.

P.S.: I hope I dont have to wait until ATI releases an AIGLX compatible driver or the radeon driver actually supports my card x_X

Tags
ati, beryl, drivers, propietary, x1300, xgl