Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th January 2007, 04:39 PM
ruckus Offline

CD(-RW) drive not available in GNOME or KDE

Hi,

I have a cd burner installad on my machine and it is not visible in GNOME through nautilus or in the storage media in KDE (e.g. system:/media/hdc). The device at /dev/hdc can be mounted manually. I'm still investigating but I think it changed after one of the last kernel updates.

I was just wondering if anyone was having this problem.

Best regards,
ruckus

FC6 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6
Dell Optiplex GX270 - P4
Old 8th January 2007, 05:17 PM
nasradu8 Offline

try updating hal
Old 5th March 2007, 10:34 AM
ruckus Offline

Thanks for the suggestion but I still haven't figured this out. I can't access the dvd-rom drive through the system:/media/hdc url in KDE and it doesn't show up as a device in GNOME.

The device seems to be detected and recognised by hal and I can see its details in the hal-device-manager. The recent kernel update (2.6.19-1.2911.6.4.fc6) did mention something about cd-rom drives but I have updated everything and nothing has changed.

Any help or information from people with a similar problem would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
ruckus

Last edited by ruckus; 5th March 2007 at 10:49 AM.

Tags
cdrw, drive, gnome, kde