Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd May 2006, 04:57 AM
trailboss Offline

Talking Any programmers make changes

Hi,
I'm a total newbie to linux and I have http://www.startcom.org/ the multi-media version. I would like alot of things cut or taken out. It's of the same as fedora or might be off fedora, but the site says it's off Redhat. Anyway, I was able to load it with ease and I also got on the internet, yeppers a total newbie to linux and so far I love it, but I think my OS needs to be trimmed down. So thats what I need. Can someone do this for me?
thanks
Trailboss
Old 3rd May 2006, 11:36 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Sorry, but I've never even heard of this distro and can't give you direct help. If you're using YUM to update your system, you can remove packages that way (type 'man yum' for details or see this site: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/ If you're not using yum, since it's based on Red Hat and Fedora, you can at least use the rpm method of removal as described in this tutorial: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-intro-...t-started.html It would also help to post your question on the Forum for your distro - I see they have one. Good luck.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 4th May 2006, 04:54 AM
JordanN Offline

That looks like a pretty cool distribution. I had been thinking that Planet CCRMA needed to do its own, instead of depending on the Fedora project so much.

This looks very good. I do wonder how stable everything is.
http://www.startcom.org/index.php?lang=en&app=40

Last edited by greenlead; 4th May 2006 at 04:57 AM.
Old 4th May 2006, 08:51 AM
ccrvic Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlead
That looks like a pretty cool distribution.
It's a rebuilt RHEL4, the same as WhiteBox, CentOS, Scientific, Tao, ...

Vic.
Old 4th May 2006, 10:39 AM
trailboss Offline

Talking

I did try to login to their forum but, it won't let me register. I tried!!! But I was thinking since it's of the same base and you have alot more support. Why not ask in your forum? I'm a newbie to linux. It loaded with ease and works great, but I just want to thin it down. I don't think I can do any changes,,,YET, I barely got the settings changed,,,no it was not real hard,,,it's just not Windows,,,,,this is all new to me. But if nobody can cut it down for me,,,i'll have no choice but to try myself. hope someone don't mind doing this?
thanks
Trailboss
Old 4th May 2006, 10:50 AM
ccrvic Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss
I just want to thin it down.
Any particular reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss
But if nobody can cut it down for me,,,i'll have no choice but to try myself.
That's exactly what you should do. Find out how to use the tools in front of you...

Start with Applications->System Settings->Add/Remove Applications

Vic.
Old 4th May 2006, 11:11 AM
trailboss Offline

Talking

well it has to much of everything. it's got kde and gnome and it might have xped or whatever they call that other GUI, ,,,4 and 5 of this and 4 and 5 of that. It came with 4 cd's. If it was trimmed down to one cd, i'd have a super great Linux OS.
thanks
Trailboss
Old 4th May 2006, 01:38 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
If you're concerned with the number of CD's, the amount of programs installed and the learning curve you might want to try this OS instead: http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?6 - it's on one CD which doubles as a Live CD and an installer, is pre-configured for your graphics card and has everything you'd normally use already set up for you. It's a great way to begin a journey into Linux and, in my opinion, a distro that can easily replace Windows for any new user. I'm dual-booting between FC-5 and PCLOS and enjoy them both.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 4th May 2006, 10:42 PM
trailboss Offline

Well remenber, windows users are hard to change. Of the cd's i purchased and tried, which are, Ark linux 2005.2,,,linux XP desktop 2006,,,,,,,Startcom 3 AS 3.0.1,,,,,STX 1.0,,,Symphony OS beta one,,,,, Ark linux 2006.1 rc1,,,,PClinuxOS 0.92,,,,,,Vector linux 5.1,,,,Kanotix 2005-04,,,Onebase Linux 2005x2 x86,,,,,,aLinux 12.6 i486,,,,,,Yoper 2.1.0 i686,,,,,,Foresight Desktop Linux 0.9.3 i686,,,,,,Asianux 10 SP2 i386.

Kanotix is the close second of all of them,,,,,but the Startcom multimedia 4.0.4 is far the best of the lot,,,,and your hearing this from a newbie user. It was just more easy to load and using it is simple. i play music and video, surf the net. What more do a person need to be happy. It's just too big!!!! I have sent the maker a email asking to make a small version. I sure hope they agree. As I think it will be tough to find better. I even have Ubuntu and I still like Startcom,,,,,maybe the newer version of Ubuntu will be alot better,,,but as of right now,,,Startcom rocks!!!
thanks
Trailboss
Old 3rd July 2006, 06:30 AM
trailboss Offline

since I could not get the OS changed to suit me, I went looking for other linux versions. I am not a proud user of Mepis lite.
thanks for the replies
Trailboss

Tags
make, programmers