Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th April 2006, 10:54 PM
skudder Offline

Fedora Core 5 - Kernel build files?

Hi new to the forum and Fedora/linux in general. I have been trying out several diffrent distros in the last couple days and I think im sticking with this one. Anyhow, i've run into two problems. The first one, I was attempting to setup my wireless connection with ndiswrapper and came across my other problem. Apparently, FC5 didn't install the kernel build files when I installed. So my question is, where can I get the kernel files at without using say yum?

Also, sorry if this has already been answered, but I have been searching this forum for hours and not found much on this problem.

Thank you.

-skudder
Old 26th April 2006, 11:00 PM
SHtRO Offline

install "kernel-devel".
Normally a simple "yum install kernel-devel" will do the trick.

See this posting for more information.
Old 26th April 2006, 11:13 PM
skudder Offline

Well that's one of my problems I don't have the internet yet, thats why im setting up the wireless connection. Thanks for the quick response though.
Old 26th April 2006, 11:17 PM
SHtRO Offline

You should have a copy of that rpm somewhere in the install disk(s). If your CD were mounted at /mnt/cdrom, you could do something like: "find /mnt/cdrom -name kernel-devel*"

Once located you can use "rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/path/to/kernel-devel-filename.rpm"

I think that is what you want.
Old 27th April 2006, 12:14 AM
skudder Offline

Well, I must have done something wrong. There is nothing in my mnt folder. <sigh> Uhm...I'm just going to reinstall with every package and see if that does anything. Unless someone else has another idea?
Old 27th April 2006, 12:18 AM
SHtRO Offline

no, put your CD's in and browse through the directories. "/mnt/cdrom" was just an example, and I don't know what the actual mount point would be for you. Maybe "/media/cdrom" or something like that. Did you install from DVD or CD? DON'T REINSTALL YET.
Old 27th April 2006, 12:21 AM
skudder Offline

Heh, okay won't reinstall yet. I installed from a CD, 5 to be exact.
Old 27th April 2006, 12:26 AM
skudder Offline

Alright, you were right. In media it has it there. Searching through them now.
Old 27th April 2006, 12:31 AM
skudder Offline

No kernel-devel on any of the CD's.
Old 27th April 2006, 12:53 AM
SHtRO Offline

hrmmph...my instructions were bad. I'm so sorry. I've been poking the ISO discs...and I don't see it either. This is a mistake, as it should be there. You can download a copy directly from:
here for i586 or here for i686

You should do a "rpm -q kernel" to assure that you have 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5 and to determine the architecture (i586 or i686). You'll want to get the copy to your box somehow, might require burning to CD.

I'm sorry you are having this trouble. You should report the problems you are having with the wireless (brand, model, driver build attempt, etc.) so that your configuration might be properly accommodated in the future.

I don't know about wireless to help you much further and I'm terribly sorry about the red herring. Not having the kernel-devel files readily available for installation makes little sense.

Please realize that once you get this all working you'll have to upgrade the kernel again. So you might consider downloaded the newest kernel and kernel-devel packages for your machine from here

Last edited by SHtRO; 27th April 2006 at 12:58 AM.
Old 27th April 2006, 01:03 AM
skudder Offline

Np, I appreciate you sticking with it and helping me out. Will there be a problem if im using i386 and I install i586 or i686?
Old 27th April 2006, 01:12 AM
SHtRO Offline

depends on your processor. Not much i386 out there. Do a "uname -a" and read the line. near the end will be the architecture. You'll see something along the lines of:
Quote:
Linux my.machine.name.dom 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5 #1 Tue Mar .... EST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Which indicates i686.
Old 27th April 2006, 01:27 AM
skudder Offline

Will nothing go right for me? I got the two rpms, went to install them and I get this:

kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FCS.i686.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2

Same with kernel-devel.
Old 27th April 2006, 02:06 AM
SHtRO Offline

Patience, you are learning.
That output looks like the output of "rpm -K" which is a checksum check.

Do "rpm -q kernel". If it shows your new kernel, it worked. Reboot to that kernel, and do your development stuff.

If not, did you "rpm -ivh kernel-kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FCS.i686.rpm", which is the install command?

You should definitely do "man rpm" and read it.
Old 27th April 2006, 03:10 AM
skudder Offline

Yeah, sorry about that. I know I should be patient, just been working on this for about 10 hours today heh. The kernel did show up and im rebooting now.

Tags
build, core, fedora, files, kernel