Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th April 2006, 01:00 AM
theolddrummer Offline

AntiVirus (AVG Free)

Has anyone actually managed to install AVG Free antivirus on FC5?
The rpm fails (yes dependencies are all installed) but says it has completed and installed. No archive to be found. No help on the AVG site. No way to actually contact them.
For an outfit who put up a huge ad campaign on having the first real av software for linux, it's a pretty poor showing.
I use the Windows version on that system with absolutely no issue. It's a great piece of software - on Windows.
Any suggestions for an alternate Fedora Core 5 AV package?
Old 19th April 2006, 01:11 AM
margni Offline

I've tried other AV, and didn't have any luck. But I was running Avast on my windows boxes...
Finally, Avast has gotten a download version - and yes, it's a free download - for a Linux box.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-av...x-edition.html

You'll have to 'register' it, and get a key emailed to you, but it works very well, although not all the features of the linux version work the same as the Windoze version.

Hope that helps you... It cut my frustration down.

margni

Last edited by margni; 19th April 2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 19th April 2006, 08:32 AM
woppa30 Offline

You say its installed but there is no archive, what do you mean by that ??? Is that during the install ?
If it has installed open a console and as root type "avggui" to launch the avg program as root, that way you can update the definitions and scan everything.
Hope this helps,
Woppa
Old 19th April 2006, 08:12 PM
narasim_7 Offline

Not able to install at all

I am unable to install it all together.When i give the rpm command it says preparing and after which an error message comes up..saying that it was unable to install..I cant give u the error message right now because i am in my friend's house..
But i will let u know..Meanwhile does anybody have this problem of not being able to install??
Old 20th April 2006, 12:07 AM
margni Offline

Do you mean AVG or Avast?
Old 20th April 2006, 12:33 AM
theolddrummer Offline

AVG Free will not install. Period. If you open the rpm with an archive manager and place files manually it misses the part of the script that gives you the FREE licencse number. AVG won't give you one and say (literally) it's free use the self supprt. The self support says to download the rpm or the archive to install. Unfortunatley there is no archive to download on thier site (or anywhere else)
After the comments and questions (hope I answered them all) I am going to use Avast. Looks like the same basic concept in AV protection anyway.
Old 20th April 2006, 01:31 AM
margni Offline

Did you try it as an rpm and then use rpm from the terminal (as super user)?
Maybe it would load up that way - in case you want to give it one last flogging...

If not, then by all means try the avast. It's worked very well for me.
Old 20th April 2006, 01:57 AM
theolddrummer Offline

Thank you
Scanning system now with Avast.
I am pleased with what I see. I guess that's what it is all about. If you like it .........
Old 20th April 2006, 02:00 AM
margni Offline

Cool... glad it's working for you...

This seems to be the hardest part about linux/fedora - still - is there's plenty of choices, but finding the one that reallllly works is the job :~)

Glad it works for you!
Old 20th April 2006, 09:49 AM
narasim_7 Offline

Clam GUI

I think i will try out avast...in the meanwhile can u guys suggest a Gtk based GUI for clamav??....
Old 21st June 2006, 10:39 PM
landoncz Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by narasim_7
I think i will try out avast...in the meanwhile can u guys suggest a Gtk based GUI for clamav??....
Clamtk seems ok, I've used it before, but usually just run via cron...
100 Gig 7200 RPM

Code:
# rm -rf /dev/brain
Old 22nd June 2006, 12:24 AM
weinerdogus Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by landoncz
Clamtk seems ok, I've used it before, but usually just run via cron...
Cron jobs are great. create a file called clamscan.cron and place it in /etc/cron.daily
mine looks like this
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#daily scan for virii
freshclam
clamscan -r --log=/var/log/clamscan.log /home/rick
as ron popiel would say "set it and forget it"
clamav runs daily with the rest of your cron jobs
hth

Registered Linux User 394169
Old 21st June 2006, 10:22 PM
nicstevens42 Offline

Angry AVG Sucks hard IMHO

Hmmm

I got AVG and started reading the documentation before installing. (A novel concept to be sure). The docs say you must install Dazuko or e-mail scanning will not work. So I go look at Dazuko and it want the kernel configured for "default capabilities". WTF are default capabilities?
Quote:
Linux Default Capabilities are built into the kernel. Capabilities must be built as a module in order to work with Dazuko. This is because the "capabiltity" module does not support stacking.
What this means is that I must re-compile every new kernel update, which I don't usually notice until VMware stops working because of a module failure -- at this point my system can be running for days.

I rely on the kernel from dead rat as a security update. It's something I don't need to keep track of -- and I would not expect a non-technical user to recompile their kernel every time it's updated.

In fact the idea of leaving the OS unprotected because the AV system fails after a security update is in a word ludicrous!

Grisoft works ok on XP but falls way short of the mark IMHO for linux.
Old 7th November 2006, 02:05 AM
rlozano Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstevens42
Hmmm

I got AVG and started reading the documentation before installing. (A novel concept to be sure). The docs say you must install Dazuko or e-mail scanning will not work. So I go look at Dazuko and it want the kernel configured for "default capabilities". WTF are default capabilities?

What this means is that I must re-compile every new kernel update, which I don't usually notice until VMware stops working because of a module failure -- at this point my system can be running for days.

I rely on the kernel from dead rat as a security update. It's something I don't need to keep track of -- and I would not expect a non-technical user to recompile their kernel every time it's updated.

In fact the idea of leaving the OS unprotected because the AV system fails after a security update is in a word ludicrous!

Grisoft works ok on XP but falls way short of the mark IMHO for linux.
im not sure with Fedora, but for ubuntu, AVG installation is a breeze. there is a step-by-step guide in the ubuntu forums on how to install AVG. i believe that is the same procedure you will use.

here's the link for you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=136064. instead of apt, you can use yum.

for dazuko, are u using a fedora desktop or server? i believe, dazuko is somehow, yes i said somehow, included in the dekstop.

Last edited by rlozano; 7th November 2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 12th July 2006, 11:05 AM
bradchaus Offline

sorry to say ... AVG works fine for me .... go figure

cheers and beers

Linux Rules

Tags
antivirus, avg, free