FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Apache question

    hiya... noobee here.

    Get Fedora 11 and Apache installed. Open web browser and enter http://localhost and I get a "Fedora Test Page" that shows Apache is working (according to the info on the page). It says to put my web documents in /var/www/html/ ... however, as a user I cannot access it (put anything there) and I can't change the permissions (belongs to root) ... any assistance would be appreciated as I'd like to run this as an intranet web server in our small ( <100 users) company.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Waldorf, Maryland
    Posts
    7,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to go to the apache configuration and enable the user directory configuration in /etc/httpd/httpd.conf. By default it is disabled.

    Once that is enabled you will be able to reach a users html directory by http://host/~username/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpollard
    You will have to go to the apache configuration and enable the user directory configuration in /etc/httpd/httpd.conf. By default it is disabled.

    Once that is enabled you will be able to reach a users html directory by http://host/~username/
    Thanks for the response -but- being a noob, I have no clue what code in that file to change or what to change it to. Could you (or someone) be a bit more specific (sample of code that needs to be changed and what to change it to)

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it sorted out.

    I figured out how to log in as root and then I allowed "Other's" permissions on the folder.

    Kinda crazy the a person can't (by default) log in as root via the GUI login screen but I soon learned how to change that!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    eastern Washington (state) USA
    Posts
    488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest that instead of allowing 'others' permission -- especially write permission, because that makes it 'world writeable'; you create a group that includes yourself and whatever other users may need to be able to configure things, as well as apache, and then change the group ownership (chgrp command).

    I know the whole topic of permissions took me a while to get straight, but it's important if you're dealing with web sites and that sort of thing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CiaW
    I would suggest that instead of allowing 'others' permission -- especially write permission, because that makes it 'world writeable'; you create a group that includes yourself and whatever other users may need to be able to configure things, as well as apache, and then change the group ownership (chgrp command).

    I know the whole topic of permissions took me a while to get straight, but it's important if you're dealing with web sites and that sort of thing.
    Good point... I'll work on that. For what it's worth tho, this box will run an Intranet only and sits behind our corporate firewall so is not visible to the outside world.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Waldorf, Maryland
    Posts
    7,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrT
    Thanks for the response -but- being a noob, I have no clue what code in that file to change or what to change it to. Could you (or someone) be a bit more specific (sample of code that needs to be changed and what to change it to)

    Thanks
    The file itself contains the directions.

Similar Threads

  1. Apache Question
    By scottp009 in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5th January 2007, 06:25 AM
  2. Another Question APACHE
    By Rijkaard in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th January 2007, 11:45 PM
  3. question about apache .. plz help
    By micxuy in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 4th December 2006, 07:23 PM
  4. Apache Question
    By carlwill in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th April 2005, 11:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •