<---- template headericclude ----->
manual fsck help in fedora
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

manual fsck help in fedora

I am trying to do a manual fsck in Fedora. So far I have not had any luck. I have tried the easy way like this.

Code:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    Since that didn't work I tried the manual way.

Code:
    sudo fsck.ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_hi-lv_home
    sudo fsck.ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_hi-lv_root
    Since I got mounted errors I tried to unmount them next.
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/mapper/vg_hi-lv_root
    sudo umount /dev/mapper/vg_hi-lv_home
    I got the usual busy messages so I tried to fix that with these commands.
    Code:
    sudo fuser -km /dev/mapper/vg_hi-lv_root
    sudo fuser -km /dev/mapper/vg_hi-lv_home
    Every time I run the commands above it logs me out. Can I please have some ideas on what to try next?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: manual fsck help in fedora

First, you can't unmount the root.

second, you can unmount /home, but to do so it must be idle - meaning no process may have it open as a working directory, so do something like changing your working directory to /tmp first.

To do an fsck on root requires either the initrd to do it, or to boot a rescue disk and do it from there - the root used for the rescue system is not the same as the normal root - thus it shouldn't be mounted (or if it is, you can unmount it as it will be on /mnt).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpollard
    First, you can't unmount the root.

second, you can unmount /home, but to do so it must be idle - meaning no process may have it open as a working directory, so do something like changing your working directory to /tmp first.

To do an fsck on root requires either the initrd to do it, or to boot a rescue disk and do it from there - the root used for the rescue system is not the same as the normal root - thus it shouldn't be mounted (or if it is, you can unmount it as it will be on /mnt).
    That is the purpose of this.

Code:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually add 'forcefsck' in the grub command line for this. I think there is a new parameter now, but it sill should work.
    Edit: by the way, I think that the trigger file is '/.autofsck', but not sure.
    :confused:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skull One
    I usually add 'forcefsck' in the grub command line for this. I think there is a new parameter now, but it sill should work.
    Edit: by the way, I think that the trigger file is '/.autofsck', but not sure.
    When you say grub command line do you mean this?

http://www.computersecuritystudent.c...EDORA/lesson2/

Or do you mean the grub file?

/boot/grub/grub.conf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, the first one since you do not want the change to be permanent.
    :confused:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COKEDUDE
    That is the purpose of this.

Code:
    Well, since it logged you out, your login process must have had the filesystem busy. root will ALWAYS be busy - every daemon is open from it and init is also open from it (aka systemd). Successfully killing systemd will shut the system down...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can check / without a live CD as long as it is mounted read-only. You need to be in whatever Systemd’s equivalent of run-level 1 is. Try adding “ 1” to the kernel command-line in GRUB, or run something like “systemctl isolate rescue.target” on a freshly-booted system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Jones
    You can check / without a live CD as long as it is mounted read-only. You need to be in whatever Systemd’s equivalent of run-level 1 is. Try adding “ 1” to the kernel command-line in GRUB, or run something like “systemctl isolate rescue.target” on a freshly-booted system.
    Note: if something is fixed on a read-only mount, you must reboot as anything else could/will just corrupt the filesystem again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CODEDUKE: I’ve just noticed your screen-shot is Fedora 14—is that the version that you’re actually using? If so, use “telinit 1” instead of the “systemctl” command.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jpollard
    Note: if something is fixed on a read-only mount, you must reboot as anything else could/will just corrupt the filesystem again.
    Good catch; I forget to mention that.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new and recommended way now to force a file system check at boot is to add a kernel parameter.

Just edit your kernel line when you boot and append this parameter to your kernel line.

fsck.mode=force

But, if this is for Fedora 14, then I don't believe adding the parameter to your kernel line will work.

Also, I believe creating the /forcefsck or the fsck.mode=force parameter only works on file systems you have set in your /etc/fstab to check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It worked in single user mode.

Is there a difference between single user mode, pressing ctrl+alt+f2 and logging into root, or using sudo -i? I figured pressing ctrl+alt+f2 and logging into root, or using sudo -i would have the same effect as using single user mode.

CODEDUKE: I’ve just noticed your screen-shot is Fedora 14—is that the version that you’re actually using? If so, use “telinit 1” instead of the “systemctl” command.
    On this system I have Fedora 15. I was trying to respond to Skull One, so I just googled fedora single user mode and used that screenshot since it was the first one I found.

I have used telinit 1 a few times and it works. Didn't red hat get rid of telinit and switch over to systemctl in Fedora 16?

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    The new and recommended way now to force a file system check at boot is to add a kernel parameter.

Just edit your kernel line when you boot and append this parameter to your kernel line.

fsck.mode=force

But, if this is for Fedora 14, then I don't believe adding the parameter to your kernel line will work.

Also, I believe creating the /forcefsck or the fsck.mode=force parameter only works on file systems you have set in your /etc/fstab to check.
    How would I set my /etc/fstab to do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mentioned:
    Code:
    sudo touch /forcefsck
    didnt work...

Did you actualy reboot after?
    * Shell Wrapper and Runtime Modifier (SWARM): https://github.com/sri-arjuna/SWARM
    * Yet Another Simple Script Installer (YASSI): https://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?323099
    * EFI Cheatsheet :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298546
    * Windows 8+ & Fedora 20+ Dualboot :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298161

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by COKEDUDE
    It worked in single user mode.

Is there a difference between single user mode, pressing ctrl+alt+f2 and logging into root, or using sudo -i? I figured pressing ctrl+alt+f2 and logging into root, or using sudo -i would have the same effect as using single user mode.
    Of course. All ctrl-alt-f2/3/4/... does is switch to a virtual console terminal (usually f2/... through f6). You are still in multi-user mode with all services active.

Single user mode goes to a console terminal only, with root mounted read only, and NO services. Which also means no network. It really means "single user" as the only login that can do anything is root. If enabled, the only password that would be requested is roots password. USUALLY (at least with fedora) single user mode comes up with a root shell session only.