View Single Post
Old 19th February 2012, 09:51 PM
robertdaleweir Offline

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
The way *I* take it is that the thumb drive has to have software ran on it to make it bootable first, (like, "Fedora liveusb creator") then the OS can be loaded. How did you do yours? As for the SSD, it is supposed to already have this.
Hi
I simply took the F16 DVD and went through the anaconda install. I picked my own partition setup and refused the LVM thing. It appeared that all had gone well but at the end when I tried to reboot, it would not. Hence I never got it setup if you will.
I did exactly the same for the SSD and as you say it would have had whatever it had as I purchased it. I do suspect that the USB stick had a fat32 Filesystem on it as they seem to always have. (or msdos).
The GPT will want to write its own MBR which is as I understand it is essentially a pointer to somewhere else.
Cheers...

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea View Post
During the installation from one usb drive (installation source) to another usb drive (installation target), one has to be sure to have the harddrive disabled (uncheck) during partitioning mode.
Hi
I installed from a DVD iso with F16 DVD image that I downloaded from Fedora. The only other drive is the computers internal one and I disregarded that one. I specifically chose the USB drive which anaconda proceeded to write my partition layout to.
I can actually mount the btrfs partition and it appears similar to the SSD one, the OS is there. The issue is, I believe, the 1st partition on the stick.
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666

Last edited by robertdaleweir; 19th February 2012 at 09:53 PM.