View Single Post
Old 24th November 2011, 09:21 PM
synic Offline

Re: SSD drives under Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post

synic - thanks for the good post, comments & feedback. I think I should include a brief but hand-on how-to, with complete examples and maybe a verbose "why to".
Yeah. I sometimes feel that some the information, whilst essential for a proper fix / implementation for the issue, is very indepth. Whilst I love indepth and learning about the reasons for it all, actually applying it to a current situation can be problematic for people like me.

I really want to learn how to do things, but MAN pages are daunting and somewhat convoluted for the uninitiate. Examples would assist people like me immensely, if not directly, but allowing me to apply the information to my own situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
BTW a tmpfs (ramdisk) /tmp can be created with an fstab like this ....
none /tmp tmpfs size=10% 0 0
where the 10% figure means the /tmp can't exceed 10% of dram. (400MB of a 4GB dram).
After that you'll get /tmp filled or "can't write" messages.
Now that is something that is news to me. I've edited my fstab to:

none /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noatime,size=20%,mode=1777 0 0

Is that valid?

What would be an adequate amount of RAM on an 8 gig system to ensure no error messages or system locks during usage?

EDIT: Off topic Probably the most important issue to the layperson / noob is user experience. It actually probably doesn't matter that the system works flawless, but that it appears to work flawlessly for the layperson / every day user. But a correctly configured system is the best way to achieve this.

Last edited by synic; 24th November 2011 at 10:16 PM.