22nd February 2011, 12:16 AM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Odisha, India
Fedora Utils for Getting things done
I've made a simple script which uses zenity for its GUI. It is based on my previous Fedora postinstall script. It is similar to AutoPlus and easyLife. But there are many differences, such as,
- You can select many items and Fedora Utils will do one by one.
- It supports command-line arguments for most tasks, so you can use it in scripts too.
- It has auto-update built-in, so that you always run the latest.
- The downloaded files are saved automatically, so you need not download them again.
- System files are backed up before modification, so reverting is easier.
- Built-in logging mode make debugging easier.
- The ongoing operations are described more precisely.
- It won't try to redo already done things, saving from loss of time.
- Fedora Utils can add your username to sudoers file, but only when it detects that you executed it as normal user.
- Add current user to sudoers
- Enable autologin for current user
- Set yum to keep cache
- Install yum tidy-cache plugin
- Add repositories - RPMFusion, Google, Adobe, Chromium, Skype
- Enable touchpad clicks
- Install multimedia codecs
- Install Adobe Flash
- Install Java Runtime Environment
- Install wine with gecko
- Install Google Talk plugin
- Add colors and fortune messages to Terminal
- Set SELinux in permissive mode
- Install Microsoft fonts
- Install Jockey driver installer (From Parsidora repo)
- Install essential software
- Fixes - Fix font smoothing, Fix bad theme in root apps, Fix rpmdb error, Fix gnome keyring, Fix picasa not starting, Fix anaconda causing revisor not to start, Fix MPlayer driver error, Fix ntfs-config not starting
- Install Gnome Shell Extensions - GPaste, Media Player, Weather, Alternate Status Menu, Dock Extension, Places Menu, User Theme, Window Navigator, Zeitgeist
- Install Software - Google Chrome, Picasa, Google Earth, HandBrake, Skype, WinFF, Unico Theme Engine
- Clean up system
- Optimize boot by turning off unnecessary services
- Show system info
Project Page: fedorautils.sf.net
Last edited by satya164; 8th December 2011 at 12:10 PM.