View Single Post
Old 14th January 2011, 12:44 AM
Mariusz W Offline

Re: How to fluxbox window manager

Part VI. Controlling brightness of the screen (continued)

Notes

1) If you have GNOME installed, then you can change the display brightness by executing

Code:
gnome-power-preferences &
this will start gnome-power-manager and put its icon in the fluxbox system tray, and will pop up the window with Power Management Preferences. In the On AC Power tab there is a slider you can use to adjust the brightness level.

If you would like to always have access via gnome-power-manager to a GUI displaying the state of the battery, and some of the most basic power management functions, then you should add the following line to your ~/.fluxbox/startup file

Code:
gnome-power-manager &

2) Some fluxbox pages tell to use xbacklight for decreasing/increasing brightness. I did install the current xbacklight package on my laptop. I wasn't able to make any use of it. It always exits with the following error message:

Code:
No outputs have backlight property
Searching internet reveals that lots of people are experiencing this. I wasn't able to find anybody who would explain how to make xbacklight usable. I am afraid xbacklight due to lack of support in the current acpi kernel modules joined the list of useless packages.

3) As I mentioned above, I wasn't able to get anything from setpci -s either. This may or may not be related to the fact that on my laptop the only video device revealed by lspci:

Code:
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce Go 6100] (rev a2)
has the function number (in red) zero. On that HP Compaq Presario laptop there is no PCI video device with the function number 1; setpci may have worked if the number was 1. Unfortunately, with PCI devices having the function number 0, setpci -s does not seem to work.

This may be a bug in setpci.

Last edited by Mariusz W; 14th January 2011 at 01:51 AM.