<---- template headericclude ----->
GConf Error in fedora 10 ...not able to run su *
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GConf Error in fedora 10 ...not able to run su *

I've recently upgraded my FC 9 to FC 10 through preupgrade ... now whenever I try to run su command suppose, I try to run "su root" it asks for password for root an puts me in root privileged mode but when I run any command i.e "nautilus --browser" to brows the files as root it gives me the following error what it could be??? ... it was good and was working before upgrade

ERROR MESSAGE IS
    ------
    Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

HOW DO I ENABLE TCP/IP NETWORKING FOR ORBiT .... WHAT IS THAT ???????

bee Guest
    maybe you need to write "su -" or "su -l"

bye!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bee
    maybe you need to write "su -" or "su -l"

bye!!!!!

jock is not allowed here......

linuxpcmancn Guest
    Usually a problem here involves either NFS, or a kernel bug.

The per-user daemon locks two files in the default configuration:

~/.gconfd/lock/ior
    ~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock/ior

The first lock is to ensure that only one gconfd is running. The second lock is to ensure only one program accesses the XML config source at a time.

If you have an NFS-mounted home directory, you must be running an rpc.statd/rpc.lockd setup on both NFS client and NFS server, so that file locking works. On Red Hat Linux, this means the "nfslock" service must be running. Enable it permanently with the chkconfig tool - see its manual page. Turn it on or off at any given time with service nfslock start or service nfslock stop. You must be root to do this.

If the kernel crashes (or the power cord gets pulled) on an NFS client machine, theoretically when you reboot the client machine it will notify the NFS server that it has rebooted and all previously-held locks should be released. However, many operating systems including Red Hat Linux 7.2 do not properly do this; so you will have stale locks after a crash. If no gconfd is running, these locks may safely be removed. If gconfd is running though, DO NOT remove them; if you have two gconfd processes for a single user, bad things may happen to that user's preferences once in a while.

linuxpcmancn Guest
    Be care to do this.

my way to resovle this problem

1.#cd /tmp
    #rm -R *root*
    2.#rm -R /root/.gnome
    #rm -R /root/.gnome2
    3.restart gnome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by linuxpcmancn
    Be care to do this.

my way to resovle this problem

1.#cd /tmp
    #rm -R *root*
    2.#rm -R /root/.gnome
    #rm -R /root/.gnome2
    3.restart gnome

----------------------------------------------

I've gone through the process .... but the problem is same ..... not able to run this command

{ ******* }$ su root
    Password (password is given)
    [root@ **** ] # nautilus --browser

---- it gives this error

(nautilus:3490): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    None of the authentication protocols specified are supported.

(nautilus:3490): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
    Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EggSMClient-WARNING GConf Error

I have the same problem. I needed to change my grub.conf file so my dual boot will work.

Typed in
    Code:
    gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf &
    as su, did not use su - or su -l it did open up the grub file I needed but returned the following message:

Code:
    (gedit:3524): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)
    the grub file opened up and I was able to make the changes and the changed work.

My question is do I need to be proactive in fixing this problem, or will it fix itself if I wait for bug fixes.

Other than the above the install went really well, and I'm enjoy this new release.