FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   Linux Chat (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cool new waimea 0.5.0 (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=3016)

jedtheHumanoid 4th June 2004 09:57 AM

Cool new waimea 0.5.0

Has anyone been looking into trying this cool new waimea stuff on FC2?
waimea

a little about it on ./
...and osnews

It seems really cool, but does it compile on fedora? and this glitz stuff about opengl rendering is really something:eek:! Has anyone got any more info on it?

I wasn't sure about wheter this goes in software or some other section...but i figured I'll post it here since it's not really a support request :)

[EDIT: fixed the waimea link]

kf6kmx 5th June 2004 02:37 PM

Re: Cool new waimea 0.5.0

YOu may have just found me my weekend project :D
Was looking for something to play around with.. this looks promising.. I guess I'll know by monday if it works in FC2.. I'll let you know..

Quote:

Originally posted by jedtheHumanoid
Has anyone been looking into trying this cool new waimea stuff on FC2?
waimea

a little about it on ./
...and osnews

It seems really cool, but does it compile on fedora? and this glitz stuff about opengl rendering is really something:eek:! Has anyone got any more info on it?

I wasn't sure about wheter this goes in software or some other section...but i figured I'll post it here since it's not really a support request :)

kf6kmx 6th June 2004 07:45 PM

Did some installing.. It works..

Actually found it through
Code:

yum search waimea
Its MUCH faster.. havent gotten it to look like the samples on http://freedesktop.org/software/waimea
though.. Its comming up on mine more the TWM..
Like the speed though.. I converted my laptop tracker to it, on there the speed is primary convern, it only runs one program (Xastir). May use it on the desktop if I can get the rest of it up and running like the screenshots.

jedtheHumanoid 6th June 2004 11:21 PM

Are you sure that isn't good old waimea youre getting through yum? ...I cannot check now that i dropped of my fedorabox at my parents for the summer holidays :/.

Waimea 0.5 (just released in the last week) is the one with the really cool stuff with Cairo SVG rendering, and if youre lucky: Cairo running on Glitz which adds opengl as backend.

Now if they only could build glitz in to the xserver, so that we could get the same level of eyecandy as OsX :cool:

kf6kmx 7th June 2004 02:39 AM

You might be right.. Did some more downloading.. got the CVS of the current one.. Also got the CVS of Cairo and libpixman.. Comple libpixman just fine, but the Cairo config stops saying I DONT have the new libpixman.. for some reason something isnt installing in the expected place (I do a whereis and everything looks normal though.. I must be missing seeing something).

kf6kmx 7th June 2004 02:45 AM

Here's the error I get
Code:

checking for libpixman >= 0.1.1... Package libpixman was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libpixman.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libpixman' found

configure: error: Library requirements (libpixman >= 0.1.1) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

BUT I have the current libpixman (snapshot 0.1.1), installed in
Code:

whereis libpixman
libpixman: /usr/local/lib/libpixman.so /usr/local/lib/libpixman.la /usr/local/lib/libpixman.a

I see it asking for a .pc file.. it didnt install one when it compiled..

kf6kmx 7th June 2004 03:13 AM

Ok, think I got the version problem fixed.. The.pc WAS being created, just in the wrong place..

kf6kmx 7th June 2004 03:22 AM

Update.
Its compiiled and installed and working (0.5.0 this time!).

Still havent tweaked it to have anything but basic window manager (emty screen, right click for menu, etc)..
Wont havet ime to do that until at least this afternoon. But the basic software is installed and running.