FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   News (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   KDE 4.9 Test Day today! (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=285866)

AdamW 15th November 2012 09:16 AM

KDE 4.9 Test Day today!

Anything the Desktop team can do, the KDE team can do as well, it seems: following on the heels of last week's GNOME Test Day, today is KDE Test Day! If KDE is your desktop of choice, today's the day you can join the KDE packagers to test out KDE in the upcoming Fedora 18 release and make sure it's working well and smoothly polished.

Full test instructions are on the page. You can test with a live image, which you can download from the page - you don't need to install Fedora 18 at all. You could also do much of the testing in a virtual machine.

We also encourage testers to join the #fedora-test-day channel on Freenode IRC: members of the Fedora QA team and KDE team will be around to help you with the testing process and also to take a look at any bugs that you might find. If you’re not a regular IRC user, you can find instructions here, or you can simply click here to join the channel (chat room) through a Web front end.

Even if you’re not a Fedora user, please consider joining in - as with GNOME, Fedora's KDE is a clean build from upstream and fixes for any bugs found at the Test Day will land in upstream KDE for all distributions that use KDE to benefit from. Please do come by if you have time! Thanks.

Ihatewindows 21st November 2012 02:17 AM

Re: KDE 4.9 Test Day today!

I haven't not even tried Fedora 18 yet, and I can still tell you that KDE 4.9 stinks compared to 4.8. It has crashed 3 times on me, where 4.8 didn't even crash once. 4.9 is really slow, even when I'm not doing anything, even my cursor will stall. I don't even have a slow computer...well, you guys with a quad-core may blow me off the map...Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz. Both cores are almost halfway used when idling (using KDE). 4.8 never used to do this. EVER. Some of you may disagree, but in my eyes, and for what I use Linux for (mainly for everything, and the only reason why I would ever consider using Windows is because Wine is still flawed in many ways.) In a nutshell, KDE is a resource hog, to say the least.

secipolla 21st November 2012 12:08 PM

I don't know if it's what you're experiencing but it does look like upgrade issues with your local configs.

Back when I used a bit KDE in Debian it would give all sorts of malfunctions when upgrading main versions like from 4.6.5 to 4.7.4.

So you may want to check your KDE settings in ~ and maybe even delete some stuff.
Also check in the task manager what exactly is hogging the CPU. Nothing should do that but if some service got caught up with some conflicting config then that could happen (in KDE).

P.S.- if you create a brand new user you might be able to check the differences.

MauserM98 21st November 2012 12:25 PM

I have old cpu's too and on them KDE 4.9 is more snappy than 4.8. I use Fedora 17. One Acer aspire laptop, with Intel core 2 duo and a server with the same and a Dell XPS 17 with i7 processor. All performing well. So in my experience KDE 4.9 is just better than ever.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Ihatewindows 21st November 2012 09:59 PM

Among many changes I've also noticed is a steep drop in graphical effects. :(

lsatenstein 17th January 2013 02:33 PM

Fedora 18: I just installed KDE 4.9 for a netbook that is shared. It is the only operating system. There is no graphical interface for manage users. (At least I have not found it).

Groups or packages don't show. (KDE, Gnome). Apper is to mushy, and if I cannot get used to KDE9 on this netbook, it will be gone from my evaluation.

Fedora management has to realize that computers are shared. My wife wants cinnamon and I am trying kde.

Ihatewindows 18th January 2013 03:57 AM

Try XFCE. I like it a lot. Very responsive, not a resource hog at all, and yet very usable. This is probably my favorite for F15 and up. ;)