FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   Using Fedora (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive? (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276646)

robertdaleweir 19th February 2012 03:47 AM

Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?

Hi
Can one install a Full F16 onto a USB thumb drive, in a similar way to installing on a SSD drive? I actually installed F16 onto a 8 Gig USB stick but it will not reboot. I used set partitions on both and did not use LVM. I looked at the USB stick and it has a similar Partition Structure to one of my SSD drives. However the USB stick will not boot and the SSD (which is mounted also through an external USB connection) does boot.
I have used the exact same partition structure except the SSD is 32 Gig and the USB stick is only 8 Gigs. I feel that it should boot but it does not. Any help would be appreciated...

Fenrin 19th February 2012 11:08 AM

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?

hello,

I installed F17 alpha RC2 XFCE on a 4 GB thumb drive and it boots fine. It's also without LVM, and partition filesystems are ext4.

did you check your BIOS settings?

And if it really didn't write the MBR on the thumb drive, you can probably still boot it with the bootloader of your hard disk.

robertdaleweir 19th February 2012 07:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenrin (Post 1556249)
hello,

I installed F17 alpha RC2 XFCE on a 4 GB thumb drive and it boots fine. It's also without LVM, and partition filesystems are ext4.

did you check your BIOS settings?

And if it really didn't write the MBR on the thumb drive, you can probably still boot it with the bootloader of your hard disk.

Hi Fenrin
Thank you for your reply. When I looked at the USB stick under the newest Gparted (0.11.0-7) it gave me the result shown in the attached pics. The 8 gig pics are my USB stick. The 32 gig pics show a 32 gig SSD which does boot, from an External USB connected SATA Thermatake cradle. I use ext4 for the boot partition and btrfs for the slash (/) main partition.
As you can see the first partition has an issue on all the pics; but one boots the other doesn't. That is my dilemma!

Chilly Willy 19th February 2012 08:17 PM

The way *I* take it is that the thumb drive has to have software ran on it to make it bootable first, (like, "Fedora liveusb creator") then the OS can be loaded. How did you do yours? As for the SSD, it is supposed to already have this.

sea 19th February 2012 08:26 PM

During the installation from one usb drive (installation source) to another usb drive (installation target), one has to be sure to have the harddrive disabled (uncheck) during partitioning mode.

robertdaleweir 19th February 2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly Willy (Post 1556381)
The way *I* take it is that the thumb drive has to have software ran on it to make it bootable first, (like, "Fedora liveusb creator") then the OS can be loaded. How did you do yours? As for the SSD, it is supposed to already have this.

Hi
I simply took the F16 DVD and went through the anaconda install. I picked my own partition setup and refused the LVM thing. It appeared that all had gone well but at the end when I tried to reboot, it would not. Hence I never got it setup if you will.
I did exactly the same for the SSD and as you say it would have had whatever it had as I purchased it. I do suspect that the USB stick had a fat32 Filesystem on it as they seem to always have. (or msdos).
The GPT will want to write its own MBR which is as I understand it is essentially a pointer to somewhere else.
Cheers...

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea (Post 1556383)
During the installation from one usb drive (installation source) to another usb drive (installation target), one has to be sure to have the harddrive disabled (uncheck) during partitioning mode.

Hi
I installed from a DVD iso with F16 DVD image that I downloaded from Fedora. The only other drive is the computers internal one and I disregarded that one. I specifically chose the USB drive which anaconda proceeded to write my partition layout to.
I can actually mount the btrfs partition and it appears similar to the SSD one, the OS is there. The issue is, I believe, the 1st partition on the stick.

kurtdriver 19th February 2012 09:15 PM

Anaconda would have overwritten any other filesystems on that partition. Is it set to be bootable? Fdisk's a option toggles bootability.

Chilly Willy 19th February 2012 09:28 PM

The point I was trying to make is, no matter HOW you go about it, a drive HAS to be made bootable or it won't boot. (some drives already are but thumb drive usually are NOT)

kurtdriver 19th February 2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly Willy (Post 1556400)
The point I was trying to make is, no matter HOW you go about it, a drive HAS to be made bootable or it won't boot. (some drives already are but thumb drive usually are NOT)

This has been my experience installing to USB keys from live-cds or install discs. I've always, if I recall correctly, had to run fdisk and toggle bootabilty afterwards.

robertdaleweir 19th February 2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly Willy (Post 1556400)

Hi
I am sorry. Of course you are correct. Because F16 uses GPT, how does one check that. Thanks...

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtdriver (Post 1556407)
This has been my experience installing to USB keys from live-cds or install discs. I've always, if I recall correctly, had to run fdisk and toggle bootabilty afterwards.

Hi
The fdisk on F16 does not respond very well to GPT partition tables. It just says it is not equipped to handle them. The MBR is not even seen. I have used Gparted 0.11.0-7 and it is there but no way of knowing what to do about it.

Chilly Willy 19th February 2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertdaleweir (Post 1556415)
Hi
I am sorry. Of course you are correct. Because F16 uses GPT, how does one check that. Thanks...[COLOR="Silver"]

I really don't know... I'm still learning all this too. I would guess that is where such app as "fedora liveUSB creator" come in.

Some say it doesn't work though, I personally haven't tried it yet, but plan to. I only mention it as it is the only one for LINUX I can think of.

robertdaleweir 19th February 2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly Willy (Post 1556424)
I really don't know... I'm still learning all this too. I would guess that is where such app as "fedora liveUSB creator" come in.

Some say it doesn't work though, I personally haven't tried it yet, but plan to. I only mention it as it is the only one for LINUX I can think of.

Hi
Yes I will give that a bit of research. Thanks for your help...

Fenrin 20th February 2012 12:38 AM

I have had good results with livecd-iso-to-disk.

if git isn't installed:
Code:

yum install git
as user:
Code:

git clone git://fedorahosted.org/livecd
then use livecd-iso-to-disk tool from the terminal (location at livecd/tools) as root.

here is a example how to use it. I mostly don't use "--home-size-mb 2047 --overlay-size-mb 2047 --unencrypted-home" if space is limited. If the thumb drive has any issues with the parttition table or MBR, this tool will warn you at the beginning.

robertdaleweir 20th February 2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenrin (Post 1556431)
I have had good results with livecd-iso-to-disk.

if git isn't installed:
Code:

yum install git
as user:
Code:

git clone git://fedorahosted.org/livecd
then use livecd-iso-to-disk tool from the terminal (location at livecd/tools) as root.

here is a example how to use it. I mostly don't use "--home-size-mb 2047 --overlay-size-mb 2047 --unencrypted-home" if space is limited. If the thumb drive has any issues with the parttition table or MBR, this tool will warn you at the beginning.

Hi
I was attempting to do a Full Install of the OS, as I had done on my 32 Gig Drive, not get a Bootable Live Distro. I am aware of the 'persistent storage' option but that is not what I am looking for. There must be some serious difference between USB Sticks and SSD Drives that I am missing. Thanks for the help...

Chilly Willy 20th February 2012 04:24 AM

IIRC, there WAS something else that I read about, on this forum, that I think was along the lines of what you are doing. It was an alternate to the app I mentioned. I THINK it may have been UNetbootin, or the "dd" command. But I'm not 100% sure if I recall this correctly, so take it for what it's worth. - I at least hope it helps to points you in the right direction.

Doing a bit (a very small bit) of reading on this, it seems to me that you MAY need to make an ISO of your attempt on the SSD HD & use it to make the thumb drive. (just a hunch)
I've found that at times I had to take a two step approach & jump threw hoops to get what I wanted on a lot of this stuff. Yours may be the case, too.

robertdaleweir 20th February 2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly Willy (Post 1556463)
IIRC, there WAS something else that I read about, on this forum, that I think was along the lines of what you are doing. It was an alternate to the app I mentioned. I THINK it may have been UNetbootin, or the "dd" command. But I'm not 100% sure if I recall this correctly, so take it for what it's worth. - I at least hope it helps to points you in the right direction.

Doing a bit (a very small bit) of reading on this, it seems to me that you MAY need to make an ISO of your attempt on the SSD HD & use it to make the thumb drive. (just a hunch)
I've found that at times I had to take a two step approach & jump threw hoops to get what I wanted on a lot of this stuff. Yours may be the case, too.

Hi Chilly Willy
Yes I had considered that but the GPT Partitioning sticks a bunch of stuff at the very end of the Drive. As a result the gparted can shrink the partition(s) down to under 8 gigs but the Filesystem still is the entire size of the Drive. I am able to make an image of the 32 Gig unit but it will only fit on another 32 Gig or bigger drive.
Anyway I do believe that I need an 8 gig SATA Hard Drive and proceed that way. Problem is they don't make them that small. Anyway I have just about thrown in the towel on this effort. Thanks for your help...

kurtdriver 20th February 2012 06:09 AM

I've had success with livecds, and I think, install disks onto USB keys. Doing it this way allows one to use the entire partition, not just the amount of persistence which maxes out at 2Gb. I assume this and the lack of LVM is what you're looking for.

I didn't know about GPT, it seems to have a built in partitioning tools. You have an installed system, yes? Can you boot it from a bootloader on another disc?

I'm downloading F16 now and will try it myself in the morning.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertdaleweir (Post 1556471)
Anyway I do believe that I need an 8 gig SATA Hard Drive and proceed that way. Problem is they don't make them that small. Anyway I have just about thrown in the towel on this effort. Thanks for your help...

Get a second hand drive, heck borrow one of mine if you're in Vancouver, and make an 8Gb partition. Hang onto that towel.

I suspect Chilly Willy was thinking that you might use dd on the iso. Supposedly you can install an iso with dd, but the one time I tried it, it didn't work.

I've installed onto USB keys many times and it's always been pretty easy. I can't imagine it should be difficult all of a sudden.

robertdaleweir 20th February 2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtdriver (Post 1556472)
I've had success with livecds, and I think, install disks onto USB keys. Doing it this way allows one to use the entire partition, not just the amount of persistence which maxes out at 2Gb. I assume this and the lack of LVM is what you're looking for.

I didn't know about GPT, it seems to have a built in partitioning tools. You have an installed system, yes? Can you boot it from a bootloader on another disc?

I'm downloading F16 now and will try it myself in the morning.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Get a second hand drive, heck borrow one of mine if you're in Vancouver, and make an 8Gb partition. Hang onto that towel.

I suspect Chilly Willy was thinking that you might use dd on the iso. Supposedly you can install an iso with dd, but the one time I tried it, it didn't work.

I've installed onto USB keys many times and it's always been pretty easy. I can't imagine it should be difficult all of a sudden.

Hi kurtdriver
OK. Refreshing outlook. Yes the install went onto my 8Gig stick without complaint. All of the partitions, that I created, are there as I created them. The OS files are all installed as well. The problem is it throws a "boot error", when I choose it to boot from. I have lots of hard drives but the GPT will still stick duplicates of the Partition Tables at the end of the Physical Drive and hence it has to be one of the correct size, more or less. I may be wrong on this latter point but I know it is in some way relevant.
I would love to hear how your attempts go. Thanks a ton...

flyingfsck 20th February 2012 08:33 AM

Howdy,
You may need to force /boot to be a primary partition to get it to boot. It is one of the options in the partitioning part of the installer.

robertdaleweir 20th February 2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingfsck (Post 1556482)
Howdy,
You may need to force /boot to be a primary partition to get it to boot. It is one of the options in the partitioning part of the installer.

Hi flyingfsck
Yes. I may have not done that during the install, I don't remember. I will try doing it again and pay particular attention to that item. Thanks...

sea 20th February 2012 04:14 PM

Doing an installtion off an usb-drive onto an usb-drive (8gb) worked well for me.
However, even (or because of) with a grub2-mkconfig blub command, i get the harddrive-installed OS' listed in the USB grub2 config too.
So all i have to do is remove the harddisk entries (once, and dont use the grub2-mkconfig every again), and be happy for the single choice to boot from off the usb-drive.

However, you may leave those entries there, as they just bring you back to the grub menu, if they dont exists, so the only one booting is the one from the usb-drive.

Hope this helps.

robertdaleweir 21st February 2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea (Post 1556550)
Doing an installtion off an usb-drive onto an usb-drive (8gb) worked well for me.
However, even (or because of) with a grub2-mkconfig blub command, i get the harddrive-installed OS' listed in the USB grub2 config too.
So all i have to do is remove the harddisk entries (once, and dont use the grub2-mkconfig every again), and be happy for the single choice to boot from off the usb-drive.

However, you may leave those entries there, as they just bring you back to the grub menu, if they dont exists, so the only one booting is the one from the usb-drive.

Hope this helps.

Hi sea
How did you actually your installation?
HTML Code:

I am going to try it again but I would like to know precisely what you did to get it to boot. Did you install F16 on the usb-drive (8gb)? Thanks for any help you can give...