FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   Using Fedora (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive? (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276646)

robertdaleweir 20th February 2012 06:02 AM

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilly Willy (Post 1556463)
IIRC, there WAS something else that I read about, on this forum, that I think was along the lines of what you are doing. It was an alternate to the app I mentioned. I THINK it may have been UNetbootin, or the "dd" command. But I'm not 100% sure if I recall this correctly, so take it for what it's worth. - I at least hope it helps to points you in the right direction.

Doing a bit (a very small bit) of reading on this, it seems to me that you MAY need to make an ISO of your attempt on the SSD HD & use it to make the thumb drive. (just a hunch)
I've found that at times I had to take a two step approach & jump threw hoops to get what I wanted on a lot of this stuff. Yours may be the case, too.

Hi Chilly Willy
Yes I had considered that but the GPT Partitioning sticks a bunch of stuff at the very end of the Drive. As a result the gparted can shrink the partition(s) down to under 8 gigs but the Filesystem still is the entire size of the Drive. I am able to make an image of the 32 Gig unit but it will only fit on another 32 Gig or bigger drive.
Anyway I do believe that I need an 8 gig SATA Hard Drive and proceed that way. Problem is they don't make them that small. Anyway I have just about thrown in the towel on this effort. Thanks for your help...

kurtdriver 20th February 2012 06:09 AM

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?
 
I've had success with livecds, and I think, install disks onto USB keys. Doing it this way allows one to use the entire partition, not just the amount of persistence which maxes out at 2Gb. I assume this and the lack of LVM is what you're looking for.

I didn't know about GPT, it seems to have a built in partitioning tools. You have an installed system, yes? Can you boot it from a bootloader on another disc?

I'm downloading F16 now and will try it myself in the morning.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertdaleweir (Post 1556471)
Anyway I do believe that I need an 8 gig SATA Hard Drive and proceed that way. Problem is they don't make them that small. Anyway I have just about thrown in the towel on this effort. Thanks for your help...

Get a second hand drive, heck borrow one of mine if you're in Vancouver, and make an 8Gb partition. Hang onto that towel.

I suspect Chilly Willy was thinking that you might use dd on the iso. Supposedly you can install an iso with dd, but the one time I tried it, it didn't work.

I've installed onto USB keys many times and it's always been pretty easy. I can't imagine it should be difficult all of a sudden.

robertdaleweir 20th February 2012 06:39 AM

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtdriver (Post 1556472)
I've had success with livecds, and I think, install disks onto USB keys. Doing it this way allows one to use the entire partition, not just the amount of persistence which maxes out at 2Gb. I assume this and the lack of LVM is what you're looking for.

I didn't know about GPT, it seems to have a built in partitioning tools. You have an installed system, yes? Can you boot it from a bootloader on another disc?

I'm downloading F16 now and will try it myself in the morning.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------


Get a second hand drive, heck borrow one of mine if you're in Vancouver, and make an 8Gb partition. Hang onto that towel.

I suspect Chilly Willy was thinking that you might use dd on the iso. Supposedly you can install an iso with dd, but the one time I tried it, it didn't work.

I've installed onto USB keys many times and it's always been pretty easy. I can't imagine it should be difficult all of a sudden.

Hi kurtdriver
OK. Refreshing outlook. Yes the install went onto my 8Gig stick without complaint. All of the partitions, that I created, are there as I created them. The OS files are all installed as well. The problem is it throws a "boot error", when I choose it to boot from. I have lots of hard drives but the GPT will still stick duplicates of the Partition Tables at the end of the Physical Drive and hence it has to be one of the correct size, more or less. I may be wrong on this latter point but I know it is in some way relevant.
I would love to hear how your attempts go. Thanks a ton...

flyingfsck 20th February 2012 08:33 AM

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?
 
Howdy,
You may need to force /boot to be a primary partition to get it to boot. It is one of the options in the partitioning part of the installer.

robertdaleweir 20th February 2012 03:59 PM

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingfsck (Post 1556482)
Howdy,
You may need to force /boot to be a primary partition to get it to boot. It is one of the options in the partitioning part of the installer.

Hi flyingfsck
Yes. I may have not done that during the install, I don't remember. I will try doing it again and pay particular attention to that item. Thanks...

sea 20th February 2012 04:14 PM

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?
 
Doing an installtion off an usb-drive onto an usb-drive (8gb) worked well for me.
However, even (or because of) with a grub2-mkconfig blub command, i get the harddrive-installed OS' listed in the USB grub2 config too.
So all i have to do is remove the harddisk entries (once, and dont use the grub2-mkconfig every again), and be happy for the single choice to boot from off the usb-drive.

However, you may leave those entries there, as they just bring you back to the grub menu, if they dont exists, so the only one booting is the one from the usb-drive.

Hope this helps.

robertdaleweir 21st February 2012 03:16 AM

Re: Doing a Full install to a USB Thumb Drive?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sea (Post 1556550)
Doing an installtion off an usb-drive onto an usb-drive (8gb) worked well for me.
However, even (or because of) with a grub2-mkconfig blub command, i get the harddrive-installed OS' listed in the USB grub2 config too.
So all i have to do is remove the harddisk entries (once, and dont use the grub2-mkconfig every again), and be happy for the single choice to boot from off the usb-drive.

However, you may leave those entries there, as they just bring you back to the grub menu, if they dont exists, so the only one booting is the one from the usb-drive.

Hope this helps.

Hi sea
How did you actually your installation?
HTML Code:

Doing an installtion off an usb-drive onto an usb-drive (8gb) worked well for me.
I am going to try it again but I would like to know precisely what you did to get it to boot. Did you install F16 on the usb-drive (8gb)? Thanks for any help you can give...


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.