FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   Hardware & Laptops (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AMD E450 and Radeon HD 6320 graphics (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=276283)

BBQdave 10th February 2012 08:45 PM

AMD E450 and Radeon HD 6320 graphics

Anyone have experience with this processor and graphics? I know the rule of thumb is to stay away from AMD Radeon graphics. Just curious if anyone was using AMD chip and AMD Radeon graphics with Fedora?

Are the video drivers with the recent linux kernel supportive to AMD Radeon graphics? Articles I have read would indicate this; anyone running Fedora 16 on an AMD machine with AMD Radeon graphics?

Thanks, BBQdave

Fenrin 11th February 2012 11:44 AM

Re: AMD E450 and Radeon HD 6320 graphics

video acceleration and basic 3D acceleration should work fine with the default Open Source Radeon drivers.

If this isn't enough, you can try the proprietary Catalyst driver. But could be that there are some annoying bugs with the xorg-version Fedora 16 is using. Maybe it would work to downgrade xorg* of Fedora 16 to the versions Fedora 15 is using.

BBQdave 11th February 2012 02:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback Fenrin.

I am looking at a notebook (AMD E450 - Radeon HD 6320 graphics), at a great price. Will be wiping the hard drive and installing Linux, curious what I am in for.

Everything I read and researched indicates there should be little issues with this notebook and Linux.

When I get this notebook I will post my experience with the Linux install.

Thanks again Fenrin.

adhanhotel 14th March 2012 07:20 PM

Dear all,

Actually I would like to make a new thread regarding this problem.
But i saw BBQdave have a same problem, but no one have a solution with this.

I tried to install from repo (kmod)
but my laptop has a black screen after reboot

Any body can help ?

Fenrin 14th March 2012 07:55 PM

when the grub menu appears at boot, try to edit the fedora entry (select it and press e) and then add 3 to the line where it says:
Code:

linux /boot/vmlinuz[...] rhgb quiet
so that it looks like this:
Code:

linux /boot/vmlinuz[...] rhgb quiet 3
of course [...] is just a gap; there is something different, which you should keep like it is.
to boot it, press the F10 key (in grub legacy it's different, but I assume you use grub 2, which is used in Fedora 16)

Then it should boot into console mode. Login as root or user and as root use the following command to uninstall kmod-catalyst:
Code:

yum remove *catalyst*
and update your system, maybe your problems are solved if you use a newer kernel:
Code:

yum update

RupertPupkin 19th March 2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQdave (Post 1553978)
anyone running Fedora 16 on an AMD machine with AMD Radeon graphics?

I am. I've used several Radeon cards in Fedora over the years. Right now I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro that I picked up for $12 at a flea market recently. :dance: It works great with the free Xorg radeon driver and the 3D hardware acceleration Gallium code in Mesa.

muep 19th March 2012 09:33 PM

I have a motherboard that has the E450 CPU and thus the same GPU, too. It is currently used as part of a home server system which sees little graphics use, but when I got the motherboard I tried running graphical stuff on it, too. With the default drivers included in Fedora, Gnome and other simple OpenGL stuff worked just fine.

synic 21st March 2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQdave (Post 1554127)
Thanks for the feedback Fenrin.

I am looking at a notebook (AMD E450 - Radeon HD 6320 graphics), at a great price. Will be wiping the hard drive and installing Linux, curious what I am in for.

Everything I read and researched indicates there should be little issues with this notebook and Linux.

When I get this notebook I will post my experience with the Linux install.

Thanks again Fenrin.

Hi Dave.

I assume your looking for a laptop.

I've got these specs in a HP DM1-4108au (Australian version of the HP DM1). It works well out of the box except for the wireless.

I have the usual problems with the BCM 4313 (Broadcom wireless chip & driver) that most people are experiencing. It worked the first time in installed Fedora but the 2nd and 3rd time I have to stuff around to get it working. My BCM-4313 card is detected but I can't enable it. Trouble shooting for the BCM again!

My DM1-4108au came with 2 gig of ram (which was probably enough) but I upped it to 8 gig. Only problem is the DM1 only supports single channel - even though it is two sticks and the AMD spec supports dual channel. Not sure why HP did that?

Also, on my DM1-4108au there is space for another pci-e slot, but HP decided not to install it - I can just see the tracers for it. Not sure why they did that either. Surely the $1.20 the saved couldn't ad up to that much. I'm pissed about that.

I've upgraded the HDD to a 128 gig Crucial M4. Now the system flies.

ALSO - NOTE: The Bios on th DM1-4108au is hamstrung with a hardware whitelist which makes upgrading hardware impossible. I'm Bl**dy pissed about that.

All in all, most things work out of the box installing from a Fedora 16/64 Live images installed into USB. Just basic user config after that.

Nice basic laptop for a good price - $384 au without the 8 gig of ram or the 128 gig M4, but I'd look inside some laptops before buying this one again. The BIOS whitelist is the pits and takes most of the fun out of mucking round with the laptop. but it works, mostly out of the box.

Vansolrick 22nd March 2012 01:05 AM

I'm currently running a AMD 4870 with the open source mesa gallium driver and it runs amazingly! However, it's missing a shader that is included with the catalyst driver (GLSL) and I would like to install catalyst to enable it for a game. I think I have to downgrade x.org to the fc15 version but I don't know how to do this. :(

I guess I can install the catalyst driver directly from amd but the last time I did this, direct rendering was disabled/broken. I had to return to mesa.

BBQdave 22nd March 2012 01:45 AM

I appreciate all the feedback and experience on AMD and Radeon graphics. Much thanks.

I am still using my old notebook with out trouble, but am looking to get new hardware soon.

Thanks again for the feedback :)