FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   Wibble (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   death of the internet; censorship (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=275064)

Pitfall 11th January 2012 01:07 PM

death of the internet; censorship

Today a Dutch judge made the conclusion that several websites (including 'thepiratebay.org' and 'supernova.com') must be dns and ip-blocked by all Dutch ISP's. The reason for this is that an estimated 30% from ISP X and 4,5% from ISP Y use TPB. Using does not mean downloading/uploading illegal content. Those who started this insanity is an organisation called 'Brein'. They make sure that you have to pay for intellectual property. Even worse is that the organisation does not pay the artist, but keeps all the money they have claimed from their victims. They basically steal money from people.

Since all articles are Dutch, there is no reason to post links to it.

So now all the Dutch citizens are slaves to 'Brein'. You do not decide anymore what you want to do on the internet. 'Brein' thinks for you. This is like the way the nazis in the Netherlands did. You watch program X, because we blocked program Y.
The funny thing is that downloading is legal by law in the Netherlands (for now). So this conclusion by the judge is just pure insanity.

A few lines from 'wages slaves' by All Shall Perish
Quote:

We live in exploitation We have worked
blind endless means
they have turned our failure into what they need
So Break these shackles and take a stand we are the gears
we are the ones they fear
take their crowns away
What is the reason for writing this? First I want you to experience that internet censorship is not a hot topic just in the USA. Second I want to make clear that internet freedom does not exist in Holland anymore.

So I guess that Richard Stallman was right after all. Companies control you.

leigh123linux 11th January 2012 01:12 PM

Re: death of the internet; censorship

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitfall (Post 1545847)
Today a Dutch judge made the conclusion that several websites (including 'thepiratebay.org' and 'supernova.com') must be dns and ip-blocked by all Dutch ISP's. The reason for this is that an estimated 30% from IPS X and 4,5% from ISP Y use TPB. Using does not mean downloading/uploading illegal content. Those who started this insanity is an organisation called 'Brein'. They make sure that you have to pay for intellectual property. Even worse is that the organisation does not pay the artist, but keeps all the money they have claimed from their victims. They basically steal money from people.

Since all articles are Dutch, there is no reason to post links to it.

So now all the Dutch citizens are slaves to 'Brein'. You do not decide anymore what you want to do on the internet. 'Brein' thinks for you. This is like the way the nazis in the Netherlands did. You watch program X, because we blocked program Y.
The funny thing is that downloading is legal by law in the Netherlands (for now). So this conclusion by the judge is just pure insanity.

A few lines from 'wages slaves' by All Shall Perish

What is the reason for writing this? First I want you to experience that internet censorship is not a hot topic just in the USA. Second I want to make clear that internet freedom does not exist in Holland anymore.

So I guess that Richard Stallman was right after all. Companies control you.

That will only block stupid people, the smart people will use VPN or web proxies to defeat this.

Pitfall 11th January 2012 01:17 PM

@leigh

Ofcourse people will find a way around this. But the thing is that most internet users are 'stupid' so they are restricted by this. They have no idea how to use proxies or a VPN.

leigh123linux 11th January 2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitfall (Post 1545852)
@leigh

Ofcourse people will find a way around this. But the thing is that most internet users are 'stupid' so they are restricted by this. They have no idea how to use proxies or a VPN.

If I needed to go to a torrent indexing site I would use a web proxy site like this to do it.

https://proxify.com/

sonoran 11th January 2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitfall (Post 1545847)

Downloading is legal but uploading copyrighted material is illegal, so Dutch torrent users are breaking the law.

Another way of looking at it is that the judge freed intellectual property creators from the slavery of working for nothing. Emancipation!

I think the internet will survive, and the arts will prosper.

http://torrentfreak.com/dutch-isps-o...te-bay-120111/

Dan 11th January 2012 01:59 PM

I'll stand with Peter on this one. The whole mess would have been moot and unnecessary if folks hadn't been pilfering stuff that doesn't belong to them in the first place.

Pitfall 11th January 2012 06:26 PM

I do respect all your opinions and enjoy reading them, but...

Not every user on the pirate bay is downloading and/or uplading illegal stuff. TPB only gives the user the location of the file basically. So they do not own any content.

I do agree that they should punish the uploaders if it really is illegal content that they are spreading.
But the thing is that they know that finding the uploaders is a hard task. So they just block everything that is related to this subject. It should not take too long before they will ban the bittorrent protocol.

Brein is also granted to block any IP-address that they think is related to TPB. So if I post a link to a pirated album on this forum and Brein finds out, they will force the ISP's to block the IP-address of this forum. So they control the Dutch internet right now and there is nothing you can do about it. The only option is that an ISP will win the trial in high court.

Sure the internet will survive, but you will have to same restrictions as the Chinese internet users.

roelj 11th January 2012 07:02 PM

I live in the Netherlands as well and I think that the ISP that is under fire (XS4ALL) has a good chance of winning this in high court.

Brein's statistics are very questionable and big national websites can prove this easily (like tweakers.net already did in their article about it).

IMO blocking domains / protocols / IP addresses is the wrong way to go. Don't let business folks control the internet because they simply can't.

coffee412 11th January 2012 09:03 PM

I have been watching this thread and think also that trying to police the internet is just a bad idea.

I really believe that if you let the internet go its way it can police itself. Government interference will only cause more problems and will not solve the issue at all. Free Enterprise always tends to solve its own problems.

:)

Dan 11th January 2012 09:12 PM

Sadly, I do not think you can stop that now. Once governments and businesses found the excuse they were looking for, the rest was only a matter of time.

ericthered 11th January 2012 09:50 PM

The concepts of "copyright" and "patent" are inherently flawed. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but is it time that we move towards a more unified vision of humanity? Working for the greater good, all notions of "money" gone with the wind... Perhaps human nature in general just isn't ready for such a world.

Or maybe I'm a closet communist.

At any rate, the internet will survive, censorship will be bypassed.

smr54 11th January 2012 09:54 PM

At this point all one can do is threaten their elected representatives to not vote for them--whether this will offset the large sums of money offered by big media, I don't know.

Dan 11th January 2012 09:58 PM

Not even close.

MorphingDragon 11th January 2012 10:21 PM

I smell America's dirty hands in all of this. Just like our new copyright law was "Democratically" implemented.

http://tvnz.co.nz/technology-news/us...cables-4149178

smr54 11th January 2012 11:32 PM

Actually, I don't know why the citizens of many of these countries, which are, in theory at least, free countries, getting rid of their representatives who are apparently our (the US government and their owners), puppets.

I would have thought there would be a lot more outrage, for example, from Spain when they found that their newly elected leader was going to do exactly what the US told her to do.