FedoraForum.org

FedoraForum.org (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/index.php)
-   Guides & Solutions (No Questions) (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Fedora Utils for Getting things done (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=259260)

satya164 8th December 2011 07:21 AM

Re: Fedora Utils for Getting things done

I am glad to say that it is featured in the sourceforge.net front page currently. It has received great feedback, though not in the Fedora forums, for which I'm a bit sad. Many new features are introduced, including command-line arguments. Hope you enjoy using it as much as I did while developing it :)

llinux 15th January 2012 09:47 AM

Hi Satya,

Thank you for Fedorautils !!

Its awesome and fixed a lot of issues for me.

Thank you very much. You don't know how much this utility turned out to be helpful for me.

Awesome....:dance:

ScoobyDan 21st January 2012 10:53 AM

Hi,

I am running v1.8.1 of Fedora Utils on Fedora 16 32bit. All has been working fine until today, when it popped up with the folowing message:

Quote:

An updated version of Fedora Utils has been automatically downloaded and saved to /home/[username]/uid>. Please use that script instead.
I have tried executing that command:

Code:

./uid>
but that gives the error:

Code:

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
I have removed and reinstalled Fedora Utils, but still no joy. Any ideas?

Daniel

llinux 21st January 2012 03:04 PM

Hi,

I think you should take off the ">" after uid.

Also check if the file is executable by running

Code:

ls -l uid
If its not executable, run the following command

Code:

chmod 755 uid

On another note, I dont think a file will have a name like uid.

Please check these.

itsjustarumour 21st January 2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScoobyDan (Post 1548362)
Hi,

I am running v1.8.1 of Fedora Utils on Fedora 16 32bit. All has been working fine until today, when it popped up with the folowing message:

I have tried executing that command:

Code:

./uid>
but that gives the error:

Code:

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
I have removed and reinstalled Fedora Utils, but still no joy. Any ideas?

Daniel

I'm getting the same thing on Fedora 16 64-bit. I've actually just messaged Satyajit himself via Sourceforge, before seeing this post :-)

Will report back if I get an further info...

llinux 21st January 2012 05:30 PM

Hi,

I too tried downloading it and here is what it shows:

Code:

[root@perpetual perl514]# file uid\>
uid>: HTML document, ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
[root@perpetual perl514]# more uid\>
<html>
<head><title>404 Not Found</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>404 Not Found</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx/0.8.54</center>
</body>
</html>
[root@perpetual perl514]#

Looks like some bug maybe?

satya164 21st January 2012 09:57 PM

I think there is some bug in the server. Sorry for the inconvenience. In the meantime you can try running fedorautils --noupd. I think this can solve the problem temporarily. I'll try to fix it as soon as possible if I can.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

Seems it has been fixed now. Problem in uploading. Please reinstall the package.

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

In the new package, I've added PolicyKit integration. So it integrates with Gnome Shell authentication dialog when installed from RPM and executed from Applications menu.

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

Don't know who asked, but I got a mail,
Quote:

Might i ask how you got that fedorautils.sf.net page?
I cant edit that page, nor can i add as many screenshots as you have done.
I made it from scratch. Nothing complicated. It is very simple and can be easily edited. I don't know what you cannot edit.

ScoobyDan 22nd January 2012 03:35 PM

Many thanks satya164! The latest update has sorted this updating problem. Thanks again for a great script! :D

fuoms 22nd January 2012 06:04 PM

I get this error:
./fedorautils-1.8.1: line 132: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Any help?

stevea 22nd January 2012 08:49 PM

Tho' I'm hopeful and confident that satya164 is a sincere and honest guy, this is the second time in a month that some relatively new forum member has posted a complex script and encouraged others to try it. Anyone who downloads a script of unknown source and executes it without understanding every line in detail (even w/o privileges) is bypassing security. It's not smart - in fact it's just the opposite. SELinux context restrictions and sandboxed browsers can prevent a load of potential problems, but they can't prevent the determined fool at the keyboard.

This is a very dangerous game, and it would be nice if we had a web of trust or something.

Quote:

This msg above ....
(zenity:27781): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
Means the user did not have an Xsession ,or was running as another user without releasing the xausth restriction see the 'xhost' command).

As for the script ...
The 1.8.1 version is truncated, so for 1.8.0

1/ There is no indentation making the script very unreadable.
vim or emacs will indent this properly.
2/ In many places the script tests for a a package be testing fo ran expected file. This is a bad technique since package contents change. Use rpm or yum instead.
3/ There are numerous places where tedious if; else; fi; if else; fi sequences occur. Or if elif; elif; elif ... . Consider other simpler and tesers control flow like 'case' statements or in somplaces completely eliminating the tests.
4/ yum performs a lot of slow overhead work, so invoke yume for many packages at once.
5/ I think you should re-think the advisability of beesu as a 'standard'. It has security issues unless very carefully configured. AFAIK it has no function that it's part of su or sudo.

Quote:

function EssentialSoft()
{
echo -e $BLUEBOLD"Installing Essential Software"$ENDCOLOR
if [ -e /usr/bin/beesu ]; then
echo -e $GREEN"beesu already installed"$ENDCOLOR
else
yum -y install --nogpgcheck beesu
fi
fi
if [ -e /usr/bin/cabextract ]; then
echo -e $GREEN"cabextract already installed"$ENDCOLOR
else
yum -y install --nogpgcheck cabextract
if [ -d /usr/share/doc/gnome-tweak-tool* ]; then
echo -e $GREEN"gnome-tweak-tool already installed"$ENDCOLOR
else
yum -y install --nogpgcheck gnome-tweak-tool
fi
if [ -e /usr/bin/beesu ] && [ -e /usr/bin/cabextract ] &&[...] && [ -d /usr/share/doc/gnome-tweak-tool* ]; then
Success
else
Failure
fi
isn't indented, executes yum many times instead of once, then then does a final verification test instead of testing the yum install result.

We could do this sort of correct test for installation test and getrid of the verbose if else stuff....
[ rpm -q cabextract >/dev/null ] || yum -y install --nogpgcheck cabextract

We could create a loop since there is so much repeated code
for pkg in $packagelist; do [ rpm -q $pkg >/dev/null ] || yum -y install --nogpgcheck $pkg; done

We could create a list of packages for a single yum, ....
yumlist=""
for pkg in $packagelist; do [ rpm -q $pkg >/dev/null ] || yumlist="$yumlist $pkg"; done
yum -y install --nogpgcheck $yumlist

But there is an even better choice - there is no point in making all these per-package distinctions- just in stall the whole lot, yum already tests if the package is installed so the entire routine is laden with wasted duplicate effort.

Code:

function EssentialSoft()
{
    [ yum -y install --nogpgcheck  beesu cabextract dconf-editor p7zip p7zip-plugins \
        wget xz-lzma-compat unrar yum-plugin-fastestmirror gnome-tweak-tool ] \
        && Success || Failure
}

If you want you can grep-out portions of the yum output, put it in color or flashing text or other froofroo - but the task is a lot simpler that yo make it.

==========

I'd quibble with your function decomposition - it appears you have a lot of very similar Install* Fix* functions used perhaps twice.

satya164 23rd January 2012 09:21 AM

I agree with you. Perhaps it needs a code cleanup. But for now, it does what it supposed to do. So I'll try to do it when I get time. Btw, the problem with detecting installation status of a package with rpm is, it is very slow.

About the essential softs section, I think it's my mistake and I've changed it, also used case statements in many places. Will be uploading it son.

Valent 9th March 2012 10:30 PM

This script is awesome, and I recommend it to all Fedora users as a mush have addon on any fresh system.

I have one question regarding one of the options - why does Unico theme has such a gumongous dependency list? And it install for ages :(
It is by far the largest package and package that has most depedencies and that takes much more time tna any other to package and provides just one theme...

Please consider removing it, or atleast make it as an option and not selected by default in "additional software" category.

Thank you in advance.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Hey I just noticed that there is one awesome utility missing - TeamViewer, please include it in Fedora Tools, it deserves to be listed there.

Thanks!

satya164 10th March 2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valent (Post 1561133)
This script is awesome, and I recommend it to all Fedora users as a mush have addon on any fresh system.

I have one question regarding one of the options - why does Unico theme has such a gumongous dependency list? And it install for ages :(
It is by far the largest package and package that has most depedencies and that takes much more time tna any other to package and provides just one theme...

Please consider removing it, or atleast make it as an option and not selected by default in "additional software" category.

Thank you in advance.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Hey I just noticed that there is one awesome utility missing - TeamViewer, please include it in Fedora Tools, it deserves to be listed there.

Thanks!

Thanks for your suggestions :) Actually the Unico engine is compiled from source and gtk devel packages are needed to be installed for compilation. I have made it selected by default because there are so many great themes which use Unico.

About TeamViewer, will add it, thanks.

Valent 10th March 2012 08:23 PM

Ah, so, that explains it, but please consider making Unico engine as an option because it is really not obvious what is if for and it takes too much resources and time to install it, especially for those who don't actually need or want it because it is enabled to be installed by default.

Please share any cool Unico engine based themes that you found for GNOME 3, I would like to include some great looking themes for Fusion Linux.

Valent.

Valent 12th March 2012 08:32 PM

Is PlayOnLinux included in Fedora Utils ?