PDA

View Full Version : Review of Fedora Core 5 at www.lunapark6.com

luna6
21st March 2006, 10:38 AM
Installed and Used FC 5 on 2 computers and wrote about my experiences of FC5 at http://lunapark6.com/?p=481 ...feel free to check it out.

21st March 2006, 02:33 PM
wouldnt recomend to anyone with a nvidia graphics card.. man.. you think your hard done by, some of the ATI guys havent even got a screen to look at yet :P

what let you to make such a claim?

jhetrick62
21st March 2006, 02:41 PM
The better statement might be that a newer user might not want to load this onto the Nvidia chipset motherboards as unless they were proficient in third party driver installations, they might not be able to get it configured.

For those of us that are more experienced, it is only a minor inconvenience but if you like the Nvidia chipsets, it should not be a problem.

Jeff

Flounder
21st March 2006, 06:22 PM
I can vouch for the sreen just no drivers and as far as manually adding a user I didn't have to do that it asked me on the first boot.

Finalzone
21st March 2006, 06:51 PM
I read the review and pointed out some mistakes. Apparently, you haven't tried Add/Remove Software aka Pirut which is the default package manager.

sailor
21st March 2006, 11:25 PM
I doubt that this is a typical install...Nvidia drivers may not be included, but are available. I didn't see any attempt to install the nvidia drivers? I always have the binary installer handy...or wait for the livna rpms to be built.

jhetrick62
22nd March 2006, 01:04 AM
Sailor, what do you mean by "binary installer"? I have never done that, but have order a board w/ an Nvidia 410 Southbridge and am anticipating manual install of some drivers. That terminology is foreign to me though.

Any advice is appreciated.

Jeff

wintermute000
22nd March 2006, 01:47 AM
what drivers are you guys talking bout for nvidia chipsets?

Are you referring to Nvidia graphics cards or Nvidia mobo (ie nforce 3 etc.) chipsets?

Coz I have an Nvidia mobo chipset (nforce3) and given my experiences with trying to get ATI drivers working, I have no desire to install mobo drivers LOL

jhetrick62
22nd March 2006, 01:57 AM
Yes, I'm talking about the Nvidia motherboard chipsets and their drivers for sound and lan specifically. They also have built-in video drivers.

ATI is known for it's buggy linux drivers, honestly.

Jeff

wintermute000
22nd March 2006, 02:08 AM
jhetrick, do you know how this affects your system? specifically I have a working FC5 and no mobo issues unless my video card issues are actually mobo chipset issues with the AGP slot or something similar.

I use a creative sound card so onboard sound is not a worry. But funnily enough I had dramas with my two onboard NICs - FC5 assigned eth0 and eth1 to the SAME NIC , which had me tearing my hair out until I spotted their MAC addresses were the same.

jhetrick62
22nd March 2006, 02:15 AM
I'm actually glad to hear that. I was just expecting some issues when the board arrives, as on newegg, there was a post about this board that in FC4, this board did not load sound or nic w/o nvidia.com drivers for linux. This is a 64 bit board so I don't know if yours is or not, but that may also make a difference as I will load the 64 bit system.

Hopefully my experience is like yours!

Jeff

wintermute000
22nd March 2006, 02:23 AM
Hehe my "painless" experience was still several hours of trolling forums until I worked out the text install, remove rhgb parameter, edit xorg to vesa driver trick. Also the issue of a $400 AUD video card running like a $50 video card due to lack of drivers... (AARGH)

Watch out for the ethernet issue, I had to manually assign eth0 to a specific MAC address. I seriously spent an hour doing bottom-up TCP/IP troubleshooting (checking routes, swapping cables, all that) before I realised eth0 and eth1 were both assigned to the same (disconnected) NIC.

FYR Mine is a GA-8KNNXP Pro nforce3 chipset. Funnily enough I have another A64 running on a Via KT800 chipset and guess what, that one sings like a songbird on FC4 (its my file server so I'm not mucking with it for now).

Anywayz good luck mate

Scytale
22nd March 2006, 02:56 AM
My AMD 64 server is screwed when it comes to FC-5 mainly because of the sata controller. The Motherboard has a stupid VIA chipset in it and the intstaller fails to recognise it even when I try to force it to use the VIA SATA controller. The installer just craps itself and say's "Can't find any local hgard-drives" or something similiar to run. I'm going to have to buy a PATA drive just to install and theres no gaurantee I'll be able to access my sata raid once it's installed...

Otoh FC 5 T3 ran flawlessly on my desktop system, which is an Intel P4 3.2 ghz box with 512mb of ram, I haven't tried installing the nvidia drivers (No need really, I don't game) but my geforce 6600 works fine with whatever it defaulted too. The motherboard uses an SIS chipset. I'll let you know how FC5 runs once I get the i386 images.

My advice is don't buy a VIA chipset.

wintermute000
22nd March 2006, 03:36 AM
What OS were you running the RAID config with originally (ie before installing FC5)? Must admit I'm running 3x PATA drives with my VIA chipset, haven't tried a SATA drive yet. I've never been game to try RAID (even IDE raid) simply coz if something blows up I like to be able to just unplug the drive, plug it into another whitebox and viola.

jhetrick62
22nd March 2006, 03:48 AM
Thanks Johannlo, I copied your post to notes for my use this weekend when I install.

Jeff

imdeemvp
22nd March 2006, 03:48 AM
wouldnt recomend to anyone with a nvidia graphics card.. man.. you think your hard done by, some of the ATI guys havent even got a screen to look at yet :P

what let you to make such a claim?
I admit is not as easy as I am used to but is doable if you have been a linux user for some time. I installed nvidia drivers and its up and running.

Scytale
22nd March 2006, 04:08 AM
What OS were you running the RAID config with originally (ie before installing FC5)? Must admit I'm running 3x PATA drives with my VIA chipset, haven't tried a SATA drive yet. I've never been game to try RAID (even IDE raid) simply coz if something blows up I like to be able to just unplug the drive, plug it into another whitebox and viola.

Brand new comp, 2 * 400gb seagate sata II hard disks. Fedora won't recognise the controller. I tried win xp last night and it recognises the sata drives, didn't try to install though. Googling my problem it seems its a prettty common error with the VT8251 chipset, there is a kernel patch from VIA but its not in the mainstream kernel yet. Most people seem to reccomend installing linux on a PATA drive then patching the kernel to get linux to recognise the sata drives. I'd rather not do this as I don't have any spare pata drives and it seems wasteful having to buy one just to install the OS. I've added a post in the harware forum about my troubles and proposed a soloution. Ideally I need to create a customised boot ISO which includes the patched kernel. If someone was willing to add the VIA patches to their kernel then send me the rebuilt kernel I could build the iso myself...

Jones Brother's Park Instagram Photos - Frecciarossa Napoli Milano - Standard Bank Fox Street Travel Photos on Instagram