PDA

View Full Version : compatable desktop?

sembazuru
26th March 2004, 07:33 PM
I am new to Linux (very) and want to give Fedora a try. I may also purchase a new desktop system in the near future. Is there anything I should beware of? What desktop systems will run Fedora well? I was considering a Microtel mid range small form factor unit. They have been tested with Suse, Lycoris and Lindows. I currently experiement with Linux on a five year old Dell that would need extra memory for Fedora to run.
Thanks

kbradl1
26th March 2004, 08:51 PM
Fedora will run fine on most machines. Sometimes older or uncommon hardware can cause issues, but standard hardware is always supported.
Your old DELL can probably run Fedora, as is. The desktop envionments in Fedora KDE/GNOME use a lot of memory (256 MB is recommended by the website; however I would recommend 512 MB) But if you don't install X or if you run the XFCE desktop instead of KDE/GNOME you can get away with alot less memory.

Welcome to Linux.

sembazuru
26th March 2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks, Steve. One more question. The unit I was looking at only has 8 megs of shared video memory....will that present a problem under Fedora?

Prometheus
26th March 2004, 11:53 PM
Probably not. As always, the more the better, but it shouldnt affect your running of Fedora too much. Is that 8 megs video memory on you hard drive or on your graphics card though? If its virtual memory on your hard drive thats easy enough to fix, if its on your graphics card, you have 8 megs. It kind of depends on what company makes the graphics card. If its onboard youll probably be ok.. if its ATI, i havent had any problems with mine, but maybe im lucky. Most of the problems i hear about in general are with nvidia cards. If im wrong im sure somebody will correct me pretty quick, but thats the way it seems from my point of view. It should still run Fedora regardless though.

sembazuru
27th March 2004, 01:28 AM
Prometheus: the specs state, "VG-VIDEO 8MB Integrated Video up to 8 MB shared"
Is that virtual or on the card? Sounds like the latter. :(

Prometheus
27th March 2004, 03:29 AM
Based upon what you said, it sounds like it is integrated into the motherboard. Not an exceptional video card, but it is easily upgradeable with a pci card or if the mobo has an AGP slot. It should definately run linux though. I know people running it on software rendering only. It should work.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of processor does this package have and what does it come with? I havent seen a 8 meg graphics card in a long time. It kinda makes me wonder how old the components are. I would almost be tempted to tell you to get a barebones system from newegg.com or someplace like that if you are getting a whole new system. If you have any questions about a system, i recently built my own and can help you with the equipment i used and like. Have fun, and enjoy Fedora.

sembazuru
27th March 2004, 05:17 AM
Prometheus: here's the url to the page with all the specs on this unit

http://www.microtelinc.com/BTO/Page/pgBTO.aspx?catID=1&itm...

It offers a range of Celerons as well as P4's up to 2.8 GHz
They will custom build and I'm sure I could get more shared video memory, but I don't think they offere dedicated .This is the company that sells through Walmart, thoughI would deal with them directly.

Thanks for your responses. I would have no more notion of how to put a computer together than I would to quotw Shakespeare in Chinese.

jbarby
31st March 2004, 08:15 AM
system requirements will probably not be a problem right now i'm building a viac3 800mhz based system with a kde interface and 128 megs of ram and an integrated videocard with 8 meg of shared ram.

it runs fine its no speed demon but it checks email and browses websites just fine.

Prometheus
31st March 2004, 10:26 PM
I wouldnt worry about the video card. Basically, anything you put on that system will run unless youre planning on doing some pretty hefty video editing or gaming. If youre just going to use linux for everyday things and the odd came of solitare or something, itll run Fedora fine. Go for it. Also, if nothing else, the 2.8 CPU will help compensate for anything the gfx card is lacking. The CPU always has to process the info before it reaches the card anyway, so it should help compensate if youre really that worried. I would worry about it though... itll run Fedora no problem.

foolish
1st April 2004, 12:01 AM
There was great article about the hardware side of merging to linux on Toms Hardware Guide recently, a good read for any user, especially users in your situation, go reading:
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040329/index.html

sembazuru
1st April 2004, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Prometheus
I wouldnt worry about the video card. Basically, anything you put on that system will run unless youre planning on doing some pretty hefty video editing or gaming. If youre just going to use linux for everyday things and the odd came of solitare or something, itll run Fedora fine. Go for it. Also, if nothing else, the 2.8 CPU will help compensate for anything the gfx card is lacking. The CPU always has to process the info before it reaches the card anyway, so it should help compensate if youre really that worried. I would worry about it though... itll run Fedora no problem.

Thanks for taking the time to check this out for me. You're an example of what is so gratifying about the Linux community.

hugo
5th April 2004, 01:39 AM
I have FC1 running on my parents PC.
It's a 400mhz Celeron w/ 128 megs of RAM. It has a 12 GB HDD with sound and video(8mb memory)
Performance is of course a little slower than a new PC but it is suites their need for word processing(Open Office), Internet, email, sharing digital photos and light gaming( solitaire, chess).

I'm running FC1 on my main system which is a 733 P3/512 RAM/ SB Live/GeForce 256 with no speed problems what so ever.

Ug
5th April 2004, 10:03 AM
Yea i'm running FC1 fine on my P3 450, but it has got 384 mb of RAM.

But still...

sigusr
5th April 2004, 05:56 PM
Welcome to Linux. I have run Linux on "hand me down" computers for years. Experiencing a number of hardware performance issues on the way.

The location of video memory has been discussed before. The relevent points I believe are

1. The motherboard processor CAN do less preprocessing for the video processor on dedicated video boards.

2. The video processor and dedicated memory on the video board CAN in fact run faster than your motherboard bus speed. The video processor CAN have proprietary methods of addressing video memory which are much faster than your motherboards methods.

3. Any motherbord memory reserved for the video processor is subtracted from memory available to programs.

There are very few computers built today where surfing the internet would stress the supplied video card. As a matter fact I have not see one in years. Gamers please don't flame me, I know, I know.
Games have an ever moving point of acceptable performace.

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. I hope this help someone.

Creek Side - Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN) Travel Photos on Instagram - Marina of Koper Travel Photos - Te Whiti Park Instagram Photos - Texas State Fair Photos on Instagram