PDA

View Full Version : Mobility Radeon X1400

mattchoo
12th March 2006, 10:32 PM
Hi new user here. I was wondering if anyone has tried to install the ATI Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver from their website with the Mobility Radeon X1400. If not what other drivers will probably work with this video card.

Thanks

Matt

Jman
13th March 2006, 06:21 AM
Been using nVidia myself but you can get Fedora ATI packages (http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon) that should work for the vast majority of cards.

mattchoo
13th March 2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the response. Now that I can get drivers for the IPW 3945ABG and these ATI drivers I should be able to make my laptop useful with FC4 on it.

knorr.orange
14th March 2006, 12:59 AM
mattchoo,

I had a post asking about people's experiences with that 3945abg driver. I am considering buying a laptop which has that wireless adapter in it, but want to know how well the drivers work. Could you mind posting your experience in that thread?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=98264

mattchoo
14th March 2006, 03:08 AM
knorr.orange,

I've not actually installed FC4 on my laptop yet. I was also wondering if anyone else was having luck with the 3945abg driver. I was having trouble getting the DVD to pass media check and I finally gave up and downloaded the CD's, but now I've run out of time and it will probably be a few days before I'm able to take a crack at it. I'll let you know when I get it working.

Matt

knorr.orange
14th March 2006, 07:08 PM
Thank Matt, hope it works for you. I am also curious to hear about how well the ati drivers work. What laptop do you have?

mattchoo
14th March 2006, 07:59 PM
I've got an Acer Aspire 5672. It's nice having such a new machine with new technology but I have a feeling it's going to be pain in the a$$ getting the drivers to work. What kind of laptop do you have? It must be a Core Duo as well if its got the 3945abg wireless card. Right?

Matt

knorr.orange
17th March 2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I think your laptop does have the core duo cpu in it. You can probably also tell by checking your cpu info (from cmd prompt: cat /proc/cpuinfo) It will list two cpu's there as long as you're running the smp kernel.

I know what you mean about the new hardware/driver situation. Fortunatly, Intel generally makes a decent effort to get linux drivers out there although they have been stingy with drivers for their laptop products and all the centrino crap. I was very surprised to see the 3945 project out there. As for ATI, they claim that they have strong linux support and made a big deal about it in the past, but have yet to produce anything close to the quality nvidia does for linux drivers. Unfortunatly, with laptops you don't get much of a choice for your video card. The major pc vendors like ibm, dell, hp, etc. generally give you the option of the intel on-board or either ati or nvidia, but not both.

As for which laptop I have now... I don't. I am still reading all over the place to see what is supported so hopefully I can avoid driver problems. It's turning out to be pretty difficult though when looking at the new stuff like you have.

Hope you're having some luck, and please post your results here for the benefit of everyone else who may be looking for a new laptop.

Creek Side - Stockholm-Arlanda Airport (ARN) Travel Photos on Instagram - Marina of Koper Travel Photos - Te Whiti Park Instagram Photos - Texas State Fair Photos on Instagram