PDA

View Full Version : rt2500 support what's the deal!?

kirov
2nd March 2006, 05:47 PM
hello,

I'm interested to know why Fedora is the only distro that doesn't support rt2X00 wireless cards.
It seems to me the guys at Ralink were kind enough to release the source under GPL and the guys at serialmonkey.com have been doing a great job with moving it forward.

So what's the deal?

kirov

brunson
2nd March 2006, 05:57 PM
Has the driver been accepted into the kernel?

kirov
2nd March 2006, 06:34 PM
i'm not saying it needs to be built into the kernel. a module in the form of RPM would be fine

bob
2nd March 2006, 06:48 PM
Kirov, from the comments just today and the lengthy 'how-to' on this Forum, I would hope that you and others have gone here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate and communicated with the developers that work needs to be done. Unfortunately, venting in this Forum isn't going to get improvement since the developers don't monitor it.

brunson
2nd March 2006, 08:25 PM
i'm not saying it needs to be built into the kernel. a module in the form of RPM would be fineWhether it's built as a module or into the kernel, if there is a reason the code hasn't been accepted into the linux kernel tree, that would probably be a justification for not including it in the distribution. This is a community supported project, if you think it's important enough, build an RPM and offer it to RPMForge or Livna.

hollovoid
3rd March 2006, 01:08 AM
give it time, the driver is not nearly stable enough to be in the kernel, even compiling it sometimes locked my system, and this is on two different systems (recently upgraded) if you need/want an rpm, it could be made, and I may even make one eventually to make it easier. but its not all that hard as it is right now... extract the archive, copy the makefile, make all, copy the .ko to /lib/modules/#kernelversion#/drivers/net/wireless/ , issue a /sbin/depmod -q copy the firmware to the specified directory, and modprobe it in if you need no changes made to the config file.

tomsyco
3rd March 2006, 02:53 AM
Im having trouble compiling mine could you give me some direction?

hollovoid
3rd March 2006, 12:53 PM
which kernel are you using? 2.6.15-1995 and 6 wouldent compile for me, but the new kernel fixed the issue, (havent tried the one released today yet) and if you keep having problems with the rx200 projects driver compiling, get it straight from www.ralinktech.com, although abiet unstable, especially if you try to set the essid before you raise inet up through ifconfig (locks every time) but ive had alot more success with that compiling than the communtiy driver, in fact, I havent been able to get that one to compile through 3 distros (cept fedora once, on only one kernel version). and the driver is from late december so its not too old, I just hope it will still work in future kernel version, or that project stabilizes thier code soon.

Kaman Photos - Mzimba Travel Photos - Teotihuacan de Arista Travel Photos on Instagram