PDA

View Full Version : [FC5-test3]: GRUB or LILO and RALink

dolphs
26th February 2006, 08:59 AM
Hi, I installed FC5 test3 on my system and it appeared I can still not multiboot properly between WinXP and FC, also I have a RALink 2500 adapter but it is still nog recognised by deafult, it would be nice if these drivers can be included to the final release :). This is not a real issue since these linux drivers are available from RALink itself. OK back to the multiboot issue, which I think is a GRUB issue and should be fixed with LILO but I did not find it as an option in the bootloader; just GRUB

I read quite some articles but did not find a proper answer to my problem yet so I hope one of you guys can help me out.

Config specs from my machine: 2x WD 36,4 Raptor SATA in striped mode on SIL3112A on board controller, mainboard ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. The two raptors are in RAID0 mode, also Windows xp and system commander 8.13 are running fine on that RAID0 array, I do not want to install linux there!!!!

Yet My "good old PATA" hard drive, a Maxtor DiamondMax8 80Gb, has been installed and on it I created two PRIMARY Partitions, 1st one is 20Gb formatted as EXT3 and mounted directly as / (root), also this is the active partiton. The second PRIMARY is a FAT32 one, mounted as /win and of course there is a 2Gb SWAP partiton.

As said the WinXP is booting fine but no way I can get FC5-test3 started with System Commander 8.13. SC detects the bootable partition though but on accessing it displays either the message shown below or just:

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB etc.

An error occured accessing the disk
Use Abort to issue warm boot

Description: general error occured
Access type: hard disk read

Disk error number: 01H Internal tag: 202
Drive E Head1 Sector34 Cylinder 0
Logical Sector 96

Also during install I did not initialise the RAID partition, so I did not ERASE the array since WinXP was already running there and besides Linux has nothing to look for on that array. However during install I did an advanced config of GRUB bootloader and used the following settings:

installed GRUB on /dev/hda1 (on boot partition not as MBR)
/dev/hda2 /boot EXT3
/dev/hda3 /win
/dev/hda4 /swap

installed GRUB on /dev/hda1 (on boot partition not as MBR)
/dev/hda2 /boot EXT3 (/boot)
/dev/hda3 / EXT3 (/ (root))
/dev/hda7 /swap

I must have overlooked something, but I have been struggling quite some weeks now since initially System Commander 8.13 did not work on this onboard RAID controller but with the latest SIL update it did install, now I need to get linux to work in a multiboot environment. Ow besides I tried with a FastTrak SATA (TX2) controller and same result !

I think it is not a real FC5-3 issue since it did not work either on FC4 but I was hoping FC5 would fix these issues, basically to me it appears to be a GRUB "bug" and maybe the LILO loader can be added to the FC5 installation to tackle this GRUB problem?

dolphs
27th February 2006, 07:42 AM
ok LILO did the trick, installed different distro which has both GRUB and LILO available. Also the RA2500 drivers were included :). WOW .. Would be nice if these two would be included in FC5 final since now I have finally a multiboot system

tomsyco
27th February 2006, 09:37 PM
ok LILO did the trick, installed different distro which has both GRUB and LILO available. Also the RA2500 drivers were included :). WOW .. Would be nice if these two would be included in FC5 final since now I have finally a multiboot system

What do you mean the RT2500 drivers were included? Im having trouble getting my dwl-g122 running.