PDA

View Full Version : Can't activate eth0 on Toshiba Satellite A105-S101. (Realtek RTL8139/810X)

PandaToledo
7th February 2006, 08:45 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm a serious newbie to linux. I installed dual boot on my Toshiba Satellite A105-S101: Windows XP Home with Fedora Core 4.

Everything goes smooth until I saw the following error at startup (before log on), I sense there is something wrong:

Determining IP information for eth0 ... [FAILED]

After I logged in, a popup error shows as follows, I'm not sure if this could also be the problem?

"No volume control elements and/or devices found."

Then I found I cannot get connected to my router, while the same connection works perfect under windows XP.

Then in the network configuration, the network card is correctly recognized by the system as "Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Ethernet Card", I compared this with the WinXP hardware devices to make sure they match.

This card is configured as eth0 in the network config, however when I try to activate the network, the error message always shows:

"Determining IP information for eth0.. failed"

I searched several forums and found some suggestions, but none of them works in my situation.
e.g., stop the kudzu service from System Settings --> Server Settings --> Services;
change automatically obtain IP address with DHCP to statically set IP address to ......

Please share your experiences with this problem.

Thanks in advance!

P.T.

PS: My laptop also has internal wireless card, but I have turned it off during the entire process stated above.

aussieoc
11th February 2006, 12:31 AM
YO, I am having the same trouble. Have you had anyluck try to get the wireless card to work. I have a thread going on in the network section.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=94741

I'll let you know if I come by anything.

sailor
13th February 2006, 05:12 AM
When i had first installed FC4 on my Acer Aspire 3000, I had the same issue with my connection.
The following seemed to work for me and others :
Put acpi=ht or acpi=off at the end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf

I have also found that sometimes it will fail to detect connection if I have usb mouse plugged in at start up... :confused:

aussieoc
14th February 2006, 03:19 PM
Nope, tried the acpi line and both did not work.

aussieoc
14th February 2006, 03:36 PM
Both acpi=off and acpi=ht cause my laptop to hang on boot when it's at START PCMCIA card services

apeguia
21st February 2006, 12:41 PM
Hi, I have exactly the same problem, the same computer, etc. Hey, I'm even a newby myself!!

For what I've read on the web, the problem may be solved by downloading and installing this driver:

http://www.scyld.com/rtl8139.html

To compile and install it, we need to follow instructions here:

http://www.scyld.com/driver_updates.html

However, being a newbie, I haven't been succesful with compilation. When I run the compile command ('gcc...' something), I get loads of lines of errors, such as:

'error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type'

If anynone knows how to solve this, I'd be most grateful. Thank you.

jturnbul
26th February 2006, 07:57 PM
Determining IP information for eth0 ... [FAILED]

That is usually a sign that your ethernet cable is not plugged in, at boot.

Also, you dont need to have your wireless card disabled or whatever. It will have no effect.

Consider updating your firmware for both wireless, and wired cards. Its a simple process of untaring the package into your firmware folder. No compilation or anything.

apeguia
10th March 2006, 02:17 PM
Hi. I think I found a solution (completely by accident ;) ). In Fedora 4 installation disc 4 there's an RMP to install a kernel version for SMP machines. Can't remember what it's called, but I installed it and tried it (just choose from GRUB the option that ends with SMP), and now network card works fine.

Hope this helps.

aussieoc
15th March 2006, 06:55 PM
Ok so I load the SMP kernel and the network card is working now, thanks for the tip. Have you been able to get the wireless card to work, if so how?

Thanks again

antoniogajunior
16th March 2006, 12:46 PM
I have the same problem with my compaq R4000. The problem was solve when the ACPI service was disable, not only the "acpi=ht or acpi=off" at the kernel parameters.

apeguia
16th March 2006, 02:00 PM
Ok so I load the SMP kernel and the network card is working now, thanks for the tip. Have you been able to get the wireless card to work, if so how?

No, no luck so far with wireless. I think that's simply because the appropiate module-driver for my wireless card hasn't been written. At least I haven't found one.

Let me know if you have success.

SouthPaw
21st March 2006, 03:09 AM
Hey I hope I can help. I did a little research on the A105-S101. First off: Apeguia the SMP kernel will not help you. They are for multi core / multi processor platforms. I am fairly certain that this laptop has a Atheros wireless card. If someone could post the output of /sbin/lspci it can be verified.
Here is where you need to go for installation instructions:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/How_to_Simple_Installation_of_Madwifi_in_Fedora_Co re_4_for_Anthros_chipped_cards

Let me know if this helps.

apeguia
21st March 2006, 03:37 PM
Hey I hope I can help. I did a little research on the A105-S101. First off: Apeguia the SMP kernel will not help you. They are for multi core / multi processor platforms. I am fairly certain that this laptop has a Atheros wireless card. If someone could post the output of /sbin/lspci it can be verified.
Here is where you need to go for installation instructions:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/How_to_Simple_Installation_of_Madwifi_in_Fedora_Co re_4_for_Anthros_chipped_cards

Hi SouthPaw. I know now that the SMP kernel is for multi processor platforms, and that it shouldn't be related to the network card. However, I installed the SMP kernel, and when I use it, my regular network card actually works!! :D It doesn't work with the other kernel, I don't know why.

Yes, the wireless card is Atheros. I already tried the madwifi modules, but I still can't activate the wireless card. It is detected as Atheros generic, not the specific model, ( Atheros AR 5005G Wireless Network Adapter ) so it may be that this model simply has no module written for it yet. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. :confused: So if someone succeeds in activating it, let me know.

Thanks anyway, SouthPaw.

Firewing1
21st March 2006, 03:42 PM
--> I have a similar card (I think) and was not seeing this exact error but similar ones. Please post output of dmesg, I wanna see if it's the same thing.
--> I fixed it by buying a SMC card (they're seen as linksys ones in Linux) for 20$ and ir works great
Firewing1

SouthPaw
21st March 2006, 04:42 PM
I think you are fighting with an issue similar to what I am fighting with. I would recommend downloading madwifi source and compiling it specifically for your kernel. The module that you have working may of been compiled for an SMP kernel. I had a sony vaio k-17 laptop that had a similar card (not sure if it was the same or not) the only way I could get it to work was to compile the module from the source.