PDA

View Full Version : Enable 5.1 sound

umi
27th December 2005, 02:38 PM
Hi. I have an integrated sound card Realtek ALC650 on nVidia nForce 2 main board and Fedora Core 4. The card supports 5.1 sound. How can I enable the rear and the center channels? (to use the line-in and microphone as output for the 4 channels) Thanks.

doublem9
14th April 2006, 08:04 PM
I also have the same problem..SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

LocutusOfBorg
14th April 2006, 08:14 PM
If what you want is to watch a DVD (or any other media) with real 5.1 sound, you simply have to configure xine to use the appropriate alsa device (surround51) when playing such a multichannel stream; the same goes for mplayer.
If what you want is to play a regular stereo sound (that is, 2 channel) through all of your 6 speakers, then search in the alsa faq and you will find your answer: you need to write a .asoundrc file.

war59312
15th April 2006, 08:19 AM
Hey,

Try right clicking on the sound icon in the system tray and choose "Open Volume Control" .

First make sure the right sound card is selected via File menu and "Change Device" .

Now via the Edit menu and "Preferences" enable these:

Master
Tone
Bass (Both Left And Right))
Treble (Both Left And Right)
Front
Surround

After enabling click the "Switches" tab and enable "Tone" .

Switch back to the "Playback" tab .

So now change their settings. :)

Should work fine now. Well does for me anyways. ;)

Take Care,

Will

sthompson102
19th June 2006, 07:00 PM
Surround sound is enabled on almost every linux distro now. But here is an .asoundrc file for alsa that will mimic stereo through a 5.1 setup just place it in your personal home directory and ad ch51dup for your alsa device in your programs setup. then reboot your computer.