PDA

View Full Version : FC4 x86_64 installer freeze before media test

hotdog
23rd December 2005, 01:02 PM
Hi,

I've just built a PC based on an Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard and Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and have been trying to install FC4 onto it but have not been getting very far. The installer freezes (requiring a hard reset) at the screen where it asks you whether you want to perform the media check or not.

I've tried running the installer with various combinations of 'noapci noapic nolapic' and even 'nofirewire' but still get exactly the same results. With a freeze this early in the process I've not got a lot to go on in trying to work out what the problem is. Can anyone suggest anything that might let me get further?

Possibly relevant is the fact I'm using the Fedora x86_64 '4.2' Unofficial respin from http://fedora.isphuset.no/. Given the newness of the hardware in this system I thought using the more up to date respin for installation might reduce the number of problems, apparently not. Is there any reason to believe that the stock install would work better?

Specs:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Asus A8N-VM CSM
1GB (2x512MB) Corsair TWINX 3200C2
Samsung Spinpoint 250GB SATA
Pioneer DVR-110D
Silverstone LC11M

EDIT: Changed the title to reflect the real problem.

hotdog
24th December 2005, 03:40 AM
Ok, I seem to have worked this one out. It was a keyboard issue, the installer wasn't seeing my USB wireless keyboard & mouse. Legacy USB support being enabled in the BIOS wasn't enough, I also needed to set the PnP OS BIOS option to 'No' and use the 'usbhandoff' boot parameter at the initial installer prompt ('linux usbhandoff').

I'd not heard of the usbhandoff parameter at all before running into this problem, but searching the forums for USB keyboard issues suggests that problems with USB/wireless keyboards are relatively common. Perhaps a comment in the release notes is in order.

I'm now greatly relieved, for a while I thought I was going to have to try to find a shope open and selling wired PS2 keyboards on Christmas Eve just to get this install running...