PDA

View Full Version : want to upgrade HW but keep data on HD

koby
22nd December 2005, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I would like to upgrade my standing system FC4, duron 800 cpu to AMD 64 system and also I would like to use FC4 64 bit version. I use the FC4 PC as file server for my windows laptop but also for everything else.

The only good thing about my standing PC is the HD - it is new, big and it has lots of useful data in /shared folder.

My question is : Is it possible to upgrade all the hardware, install new FC4 but keep my /shared folder untouched so after the whole upgrade process I can again integrate it with samba and my new FC4 instalation. How do I do it?

Also let me please know whether you think it would be better to use FC4 32 bit or FC4 64 bit and why. Not generally - consider my situation.

Thank you very much! :D

huw-l
23rd December 2005, 12:06 AM
1) upgrading hardware

you should be able to take the hardrive and put it in a new machine without too much problem. The AMD64 chip will work with your current setup in 32bit mode no problem.

2) FC4 i386 --> FC4 x86_64

re-installing is the best option here. There are bad things you could do with yum to upgrade the machine to 64bit but they are liable to get you into big trouble.

3) re-installing and keeping data

If /shared is on a different partition than / then you can re-install and tell disk druid not to reformat /shared. If /shared is on the / partition then you've just learned a valuable lesson about keeping your data on a different partition to /

Hope that helps

koby
25th December 2005, 09:10 AM
Hi,

prefering option 3

my /shared is really at /, I understand from huw-I that this is not a good idea. Why?

Should it have been in a completely separated parttition of the hard drive then?

If this the case I will have to keep the data keep teporarily somewhwere else, reinstall and then put it back. Is it correct?

Is there other option?

hotdog
25th December 2005, 06:54 PM
It's generally a good idea to either keep you data in seperate hard drive partitions to /, or alternatively to use logical volume management (LVM) and keep your data in seperate logical volume (LV) to /. The reason for this is that doing a complete, clean (re)install of Fedora (or another linux distro) requires you to format the partion/LV containing /, so if your data is also on that partion/LV you'll have to go through the awkward process of temporarily keeping your data elsewhere and putting it back after the install.

Since FC1 (well, since RH8 actually...) I've always made sure /home and any other data directories have been kept seperate from / to make reinstalls simpler. I've found this particularly useful with Fedora because of the relatively frequent release of new versions. While it is possible to use the installer to upgrade from one release to the next it generally works better to reinstall with the new version instead. By keeping all my data seperate I can do this relatively easily, and because I preserve /home intact the users don't even lose their settings if I recreate their accounts properly (Some people may advise clean out at least all the dot files from /home however, as my approach can lead to a build up of cruft, amongst other potential drawbacks).