PDA

View Full Version : Smart Packages Manager

Chen
18th November 2005, 06:00 PM
Hi all,

Smart PM is good. Suggest to put as standard package for fedora.

:)

Firewing1
18th November 2005, 07:12 PM
I agree completely. Easy to use, configure, and install. Great GUI, supports mirrors, multiple repos, priorities, I love it. Plus, for those from other distros, it also bridges synaptic and apt / apt-get.
Firewing1

Chen
19th November 2005, 06:32 AM
on top of that, it can also repair system by remove crash and uncompatable packages, select the best dependencies and remove the uncompatable one. really good!

Avix
1st December 2005, 09:47 PM
so how about some places that have live links to smart that actualy work? 98% of the links I try at various sites are dead or go to atrpms and cause me all sorts of problems.

Firewing1
1st December 2005, 10:59 PM
You have to use ATRPMS
First, install my attached RPM...
then, install these RPMS:
http://dl.atrpms.net/all/smart-gui-0.40-23.rhfc4.at.i386.rpm
http://dl.atrpms.net/all/smart-0.40-23.rhfc4.at.i386.rpm

Firewing1

Chen
4th December 2005, 06:36 AM
i downloaded from rpmforge repo.

Avix
30th December 2005, 09:12 PM
I love confused e-mail systems.. ok, I guess I didn't make it clear, I prefer not to use ATRPMS because it seems to cause me no end of problems, (I've had to wipe my system to get it stable again after installing the above files.)

I've just given up on Smart. at least the ATRPMS version, it causes me nothing but conflicts and problems.

(it is currentl;y telling me I have to uninstall Evolution to up date something else that coflicts with something else that it insisted on installing last update)

I'll try it again when it's more ready for prime time

darthn
30th December 2005, 09:25 PM
tagged for later

Firewing1
30th December 2005, 09:50 PM
use dag's, or rpmforge.
As for the actual SmartPM just accept these channels:
livna
updates-re (Updates released)
updates (base)
freshrpms
dag
dries
gstreamer
extras
atrpms
then set atrpms, freshrpms, dag, dries to priority -1. This makes it so that you can browser the packages still, but those channels won't automatically update your system.
Firewing1

Avix
3rd January 2006, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=Firewing1]use dag's, or rpmforge.

maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, couldn't find it for FC4 and the versions for FC3 wouldn't install (no python error, but the ATRPMS did install. sigh)

maybe it just hates me...

dwflo
3rd January 2006, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=Firewing1]use dag's, or rpmforge.

maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, couldn't find it for FC4 and the versions for FC3 wouldn't install (no python error, but the ATRPMS did install. sigh)

maybe it just hates me...

Never been able to get Smart to work or install properly on my system. Seems it is not ready for primetime. I will stick with yum and yumex, always works for me.
As for ATRPM, have nothing but headaches from their offerings.

Maners
3rd January 2006, 07:47 PM
smart should b in extras soon:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=175438

Avix
3rd January 2006, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Avix]

Never been able to get Smart to work or install properly on my system. Seems it is not ready for primetime. I will stick with yum and yumex, always works for me.

nice to know I'm not the only one having problems with ATRPM

brunson
3rd January 2006, 08:09 PM
My version installed from RPMForge. Do you have that in your repos?

dwflo
3rd January 2006, 08:14 PM
[QUOTE=dwflo]

nice to know I'm not the only one having problems with ATRPM

That is a perfect example of why the Fedora Team does not recognize certain repos. There are many warnings all over this forum regarding this type of problem.
I have learned from experiance, to stick with the acceptible repos, otherwise your Fedora installation becomes totally crap :mad:

brunson
4th January 2006, 04:06 AM
I figured I'd better go and check this PM out, and I must say, I'm impressed. I like it a lot. I must say, however, that I absolutely despise them using a pickled config file instead of a text file. Seriously, major issues. Use a f***ing text config, guys. I'll probably have to get on their mailing list and *****.

Firewing1
4th January 2006, 05:13 AM
I know! it is really annoying... but, I guess it's better than nothing..
Firewing1

PeTzZz
4th January 2006, 10:46 AM
ATrpms warning (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JohnMahowald/ATrpmsWarning)

brunson
4th January 2006, 02:51 PM
As far as mixing repos, ATrpms is the only one I've had major problems with. But take that with a grain of salt because I stopped using Axel's stuff over a year and a half ago, things may have changed a lot. You can use most of his stuff, it's only when I installed things like glibc and really low level, base packages that I got into trouble. Unfortunately, the pattern I saw was some cool toy would require some bleeding edge new feature of a package that a lot of other stuff depended on, so then that got upgraded all the other rpms became dependent on the newer version and that's where the downward spiral begins.

BrokenKingpin
4th January 2006, 04:54 PM
would you guys say that Smart PM is better then yumex?

Maners
4th January 2006, 05:27 PM
would you guys say that Smart PM is better then yumex?
Yes and no :-)

Smartpm has ability to download packages simultaneouly from several mirrors and also has ability to downgrade packages when needed. However, while not used carefully, Smartpm can make a nice mess in your system (imho downgrading feature is not a good idea an I prefer to remove packages manually when there is such a need) Overall, I find yumex/yum more reliable wehn it come to package management while smartpm is significantly faster

Firewing1
4th January 2006, 05:41 PM
Yeah. IMHO, it's much better. All you have to do is be careful as to what you include in it; I have all the base ones (updates-re, extras, base) plus Livna at normal. SmartPM also supports priorities; meaning if you like the x package from livna better then x from Dag's, you can tell Livna to have higher priority than Dag's. This is where it comes in; I have FreshRPMS, Dag, Dries and ATRPMS there, I can browse packages, but nothing will install unless I manually tell it to. Very useful, as there are certain packages from those repo's that I need.
Firewing1

Avix
10th January 2006, 06:11 PM
when it works (and after another wipe and reinstall I'm ready to try it again if I can find a installable version NOT from ATrpms). I much perfer it to Yumex (which is still a good app!), I prefer the interface and the speed.

tajidinabd
11th January 2006, 10:23 PM
well i been trying to properly add channels to the smart package manager. I dont seem to be doing this properly. Im using my yum.repos.d/ for each of the repos i have with yum what selection do i use to add them?? when it says method i wanna provide channel information i know its rpm so which one do i choose after that is it RPM Directory RPM Header List RPM MetaData Red Carpet Channel.

Avix
11th January 2006, 10:32 PM
one of the problems is total lack of docs. but I have generaly had luck looking at the other entries (properties) and seeing what they use, mostly I use "Channels" "new" "provide channel info" and then "RPM-MetaData"

hope that helps a bit

tajidinabd
11th January 2006, 10:51 PM
yea it does help could u show me ur info in the URL bar i was confused how that is suppose to go. for instance on of the channels u added. cause im lost on that

Firewing1
11th January 2006, 11:29 PM
Or, add a .channel file to /etc/smart/channels. Here's a sample:

#
# atrpms
# Fedora Core 4 - i386 - ATrpms
#
[alias]
name=Fedora Core 4 - i386 - fullaname
baseurl=http://www.theurl.com/base/directory
components=stable
type=apt-rpm
priority=integer

Just replace the bold values. Alias is the channel name in short -- eg Livna, ATrpms, Updates-Re
integer is usually -1 to 1, but unless you know what this is leave it at 0.
the components, I'm not sure what it is, but you can basically type anything. Livna has lvn, ATRPMS hav stable, dag's is dag, dries is dries, just leave it blank really. As for as I know, it won't change anything.
EDIT: Almost forgot. If you're using metadata, change type= to type=rpm-md
Firewing1

tajidinabd
12th January 2006, 02:30 AM
ok thanks for the help i got just about everything going. I was trying to figure out how to configure Smart Package Manager with the www.nrpms.net repository. I am running FC3 and im still using Gnome 2.8. can anyone help with this one. I read over his page and nothing of what to put in smart config file.

tajidinabd
12th January 2006, 02:41 AM
nevermind i seen the configuration file at the bottom of the page i got it

brianafischer
19th January 2006, 01:27 PM
EDIT: Almost forgot. If you're using metadata, change type= to type=rpm-md

When it is appropriate to use metadata? I am using yum as my package manager currently.

Chen
21st January 2006, 06:17 AM
I have problems on how to configure the .channel. I try to paste all .channel in /etc/smart/cahnnel but smartpm cannot detect it. i have to key in one by one manually. One more, "components" which repo is apt-rpm and which is rpm-md??

Avix
24th January 2006, 07:28 PM
does anyone have a config file with all the stuff already in it (hint hint Firewing), something we can copy in and then remove what we don't want from? (kinda like the Yum Config files floating around)

it's much easier to look at something that does work when your learning how

brunson
24th January 2006, 08:48 PM
See, *this* is a major flaw in the design of smart, in my opinion, not having an ex/importable text version of the config.

I posted a few questions I had about smart to their mailing list and pretty much got ignored. No one would give me a rationale for using a pickled config and I'm still stuck with a locked config file from having to kill a running instance when it locked up.

I also asked about why a mirror list was related to a url and not a repository alias. No reply other than a mention of up2date-mirror, which didn't really apply.

I have a config with nrpms, extras, updates, livna and dries in it, along with all their mirrors, but there's no way to export it other than listing it which channel --show and mirror --show, but then I'm not sure what you'd do with it.

Avix
24th January 2006, 09:04 PM
hmmm,. ok, in etc/smart/channel I have 3 files at the moment.
os.channel
rpmforge.channel
updates.channel

then at var/lib/smart is "channels", "packages" cache, config. config.old

in the channel subdir is a list of files

if anyone wants to send me a zip of those dirs I am willing to experiment with makeing a installable file for smart.

to make it clear as I can, I would need a zip of the folder etc/smart/channels (the whole structure) and var/lib/smart/

Firewing1
25th January 2006, 10:00 PM
Hey,
Unfortunately, I'm not at my computer at the moment... (Wait -- just remebered about SSH :) )
Here's the syntax: (FYI, they go in /etc/smart/channels )

[updates]
name=Fedora Core 4 - i386 - CHANNEL FULL NAME
baseurl=BASE URL -- FTP OR HTTP
components=PUT ANYTHING HERE, 1 WORD SHORT SUMMARY OF CHANNEL
type=TYPE
enabled=BOOL

TYPE common options are apt-rpm (APT - RPM channel), rpm-dir (A driectory full of RPMS, no organization) or rpm-md (RPM Meta Data. Yum uses this.)
BASE URL -- FTP OR HTTP is the URL of the repo, as in the name, HTTP or FTP protocols
PUT ANYTHING HERE, 1 WORD SHORT SUMMARY OF CHANNEL is a 1 word desc. I'm not sure what this does, but eg Extras has "extras", Updates has "updates", and Livna has "lvn".
BOOL is either 1 or 0, to respectively enable or disable the channel by default upon adding.
Firewing1

Firewing1
30th January 2006, 03:17 AM
Hello Avix,
A copy of a "installable" config is already done - I don't think I previously posted it on this thread but it's on others. Anyways, I've attached the RPM. It's smartpm-config -- It installs the recommended config for SmartPM.
After that RPM is installed you may then proceed to use ATRPM's version of SmartPM, it's the most recent / up-2-date version.
Firewing1

Avix
30th January 2006, 05:31 PM
Hello Avix,
A copy of a "installable" config is already done - I don't think I previously posted it on this thread but it's on others. Anyways, I've attached the RPM. It's smartpm-config -- It installs the recommended config for SmartPM.
After that RPM is installed you may then proceed to use ATRPM's version of SmartPM, it's the most recent / up-2-date version.
Firewing1

ok, first I've heard of it. thanks for the link Firewing!

does that also take care of ATRPMS habit of ovewriting core files?

Firewing1
31st January 2006, 01:26 AM
Yup :)
I've setup ATRPMS, FreshRPM and Dag/Dries so that they will display the packages availible, but install none automatically. Only the ones you select. Livna, Extras, Base & Updates-Re will update automatically. This can be changed at any time in your prefs, this is just my personal layout that's been working really nicely for several months now without a hitch....
Firewing1

Avix
31st January 2006, 01:50 AM
your a gentleman and a scholar Firewing! thanks!

Firewing1
31st January 2006, 02:25 AM
np.... It's what you get when you combine a bored 14-year-old student on a weekend, a Linux system and a bad experience with ATRPMs :D
Firewing1

Avix
31st January 2006, 12:56 PM
I would say it's a little more than that!

take a pat on the back out of petty cash, dont worry about a reciept. I'll cook the books later (Grin)

Devanhalli Travel Photos on Instagram - Brentwood Estates - Isfara