PDA

View Full Version : Why wont't Fedora start on my iBook G3?

fedoraforme123
11th November 2005, 11:32 AM
I have a iBook G3 800mhz w/ 384 RAM. I put the Fedora Core DVD that I got out of LinuxUser. It will work on any of my PC's but it will not work on my iBook. I restarted my laptop with the DVD in it. Is there something I could be doing wrong? Does anyone know?

Zakarth
11th November 2005, 03:49 PM
This is kind of a dumb question, but did you actually download the specific PowerPC distribution of Fedora Core? As far as I know the PowerPC distribution of Fedora Core should *not* work in any PC...

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will smite me.

fedoraforme123
11th November 2005, 06:20 PM
I know what you are saying. And I know what you are saying, but on the release notes of the DVD it said it should work. I even tryed burning the boot.iso file on to a disc.

Zakarth
11th November 2005, 06:27 PM
Sorry bubba, but if you didn't download them from here:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/4/ppc/iso/

They ought not to work. It was probably a misprint on the label from wherever you got it...

Firewing1
11th November 2005, 08:01 PM
Yes. Download those ISO's and burn them. Then, to boot from a CD in mac, you have to hold "c" while booting.
Firewing1

fedoraforme123
11th November 2005, 09:25 PM
I have been trying this. It is not working. Any suggestions???

Spoon!
12th November 2005, 10:12 AM
but on the release notes of the DVD it said it should work.
No, there are separate DVDs for i386 and ppc, etc. You must get the PPC DVD for it to work (i.e. "FC4-ppc-DVD.iso"). I'm guessing that you don't have the PPC DVD. Most mirrors have it. If the DVD doesn't work then get the four PPC install CDs (called "FC4-ppc-disc[1-4].iso").

fedoraforme123
12th November 2005, 11:23 AM
Well I am up and running, and more trouble and I will start a new thread.

Thanks for everyones help.

-Andrew

Firewing1
12th November 2005, 03:22 PM
I've noticed if you just hold it all the way though, it wont work.
1) Start Mac OS X
2) Insert the CD
3) Shutdown
4) Hit power button to start it
5) Hold "c" for 1 second, let go and quickly hold it again for 1 second.
I noticed this works better because the "c" recoginition only kicks in at a certain point. If it already being held down before that point, it wont work. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, that's OK. Just hold it in quick shots... lol
Firewing1

nokollonzo
15th November 2005, 09:36 PM
I can't believe there's people having troubles understandingthe concept of how the difference between different architectures affect the software :shok:

Bat Yam Instagram Photos - Waldkirch Instagram Photos - Santa Clara Travel Photos on Instagram