PDA

View Full Version : Recommended partition sizes

Mal
27th February 2004, 05:27 PM
i have an 80 gb drive. i currently run a dual boot of windows xp and fedora, but i would like erase everything and start from scratch. i plan to have about 15 gb reserved for windows and about a 40 gb fat32 partition for audio, video and miscellaneous data that both oses can read and write. this leaves about 25 gb for linux. can anyone suggest partition sizes for the following:

/boot
/
/usr
/home
/var
/tmp

side note: it's not a production machine, just a workstation. i plan to use linux a good portion of the time and windows for games and the few other things for which i cannot find a replacement in linux.

pcunite
28th February 2004, 09:26 PM
Info
----
"/boot" only needs to be big enough for the kernel files. 30mb is plenty. The rest really depend on what your going to be doing with this box. Since it is a dual boot why not just create a single "/" for the rest of the space?

Jason
GOFF Concepts

feenixx
29th February 2004, 02:52 PM
yeah, about 30mb is enough for boot. I usually play around with 2-3
kernels at time, and my boot partition has never even exceeded 20mb.

using separate partition for /home is prolly good idea, so you can
use it with other linux distros too, if you screw up something data recovery
is easier when /home resides on different partition.

dunno about /var or /usr, I would put them on the same partition along with / too.

Mal
29th February 2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll go with just /boot (about 40 MB), / (about 10-15 GB) and /home will use everything else.

Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl Photos on Instagram - Slovakia Instagram Photos - Pakistan Photos on Instagram -