PDA

View Full Version : Configuring Fedora Core 3 as a firewall... Newb

Corleone
13th October 2005, 05:00 PM
Hello all,

I am new to fedora core (an Linux), and would like to ask you a question about configuring Fc3 as a firewall in an office network. As I said, Iím very new to Fc3 and need some help on this. :confused:

The office PCs are running WinXP Pro and are connected (wireless) to a D-Link DWL 2100AP wireless access point. At the same time, the D-link is connected (wired) to a cable modem. The purpose is to place the Fc3 box (to act as a firewall) in between the cable modem and the D-link access point.

I need to allow FTP and Terminal Services connections from the outside.

I would appreciate it if someone could please guide me on this.

Thanx. :cool:

gregdog
13th October 2005, 05:23 PM
If all you need is a firewall, you might consider using a special-purpose distro like floppyfirewall: see
http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/

Then you just need 2 NICs in your fw box. There's lots of info on that site. I've been using it for years as a fw on an ancient Pentium-133

Of course, the other alternative is a SOHO firewall/router like a D-Link 804. Cheap and effective. I have one at home & it works great.

griM
13th October 2005, 07:03 PM
hi.
i suggest using a router, too. a good choice is the linksys wrt54g(s). it uses a linux based firmware which is released under GPL. certain projects develop own firmwars based on the linksys firmware. (like openwrt and dd-wrt). it combines nat with iptables (exact the solution for your fc3-firewall).
its cheaper (even if you own the pc- catchword "power consumption"), more silent and brings the same functionality like a fc3-fw.

rantanplan
13th October 2005, 07:54 PM
If you use fedora 3 it's a lot easier setting up the firewall with the gui-tool fwbuilder.
But i think a standalone fw is better as fedora has more overhead. (?)

bonobo_slr
13th October 2005, 08:48 PM
i would suggest fwbuilder. By far the easiest GUI for iptables, no matter if you have a complex network setup or if you just want to protect one host. There are templates as well to give you a start on setting up whatever you want to do.

Corleone
13th October 2005, 10:50 PM
Thank you all for your help. :rolleyes:

The linux firewall is a "requirement" in a way... the hardware is there and I was aked to make it work. :eek: But I will take a look at fwbuilder and floppyfw first, and depending on the outcome (if I can/can't make it work) I will then try with a router.

Once again, I thank you for your help. :cool:

Dusseldorf Photos - Jos Travel Photos on Instagram - Puyang Chengguanzhen Travel Photos -