PDA

View Full Version : /etc/init.d/smb problem after update samba 3.0.14a -> 3.0.20a

eddiess
8th October 2005, 06:00 PM
Because of a problem with the combination of OSX 10.4 and samba 3.0.13a I have installed the rpms of version 3.0.20a (since yum won't).
Now I can start samba using /usr/sbin/smbd directly. But the '/etc/init.d/smb start' gives a 'failed'. So I cannot let samba start automatticaly after a reboot. Annoying.

The output in /var/log/messages says:
Oct 8 14:02:47 boar nmbd[4978]: [2005/10/08 14:02:47, 0] param/params.c:OpenConfFile(538)
Oct 8 14:02:47 boar nmbd[4978]: params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/etc/samba/smb.conf":
Oct 8 14:02:47 boar nmbd[4978]: Permission denied

So I thing that somewhere in /etc/init.d/smb there is something the new version of samba can't handle. But I have no idea what it could be (I am not a programmer).
Does anyone here know what the problem could be in /etc/init.d/smb when you go from version 3.0.14a to 3.0.20a??

thanks

bytesniper
8th October 2005, 06:06 PM
i dont think the problem is in the conf file as it is pretty generic. the error message you posted is pretty clear i think, the daemon can access/read the conf fille. only a few reasons for this:
1) are you starting smb/mnb as root?
2) what are the permissions on /etc/samba/smb.conf? try chmod 777 /etc/samba/smb.conf (be sure to reset the permissions after testing!)
3) does /etc/samba/smb.conf exist? is it empty?
4) check the directory "/etc/samba" permissions
Now I can start samba using /usr/sbin/smbd directly if you starting it directly then you are never touching /etc/init.d/smb. that is only used when the computer is starting (switching runlevels) or when you use service smb start.

HTH,
Joseph

eddiess
8th October 2005, 07:03 PM
I have no idea what has happened, but it works now. But I put back on the computer and it works!
I also installed it the same way on my server, and that worked right away.

Strange! But thats life.
Thanks anyway.

Khemisset Photos on Instagram - Rio Claro Instagram Photos - Bangkok Photos