PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to upgrade from Core 3 to Core 4

Ed_D
23rd August 2005, 04:25 PM
OK, I have a Core 3 system running here at work and Core 4 at home. I would like to upgrade my work PC to Core 4. When I installed Core 3, I followed Stanton Finely's install notes (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/stanton_finley/fc3_note/) .

What can I expect as far as issues with software that I have installed before the upgrade? Should I remove this software installed then do the upgrade, then re-apply them from his Core 4 notes? Any help would be great.

laurent
23rd August 2005, 04:39 PM
Hello,

very simple: save your datas (/home), important configurations files from /etc, important software (the driver for your modem) reformat and reinstall.

It's the better way for upgrading !

Ed_D
23rd August 2005, 04:41 PM
Well, yes I know that one, how I did it at home, but was trying to see if there was an easier way..........

I do have a "test" box that I can SSH2 and "stash" my important data on.

Thanks though, much appreciated.....

SlowJet
23rd August 2005, 04:51 PM
I would do it like larent said because,
1. You can install over and over until it is right.
2. Upgrading implies one chance and then your back to install anyway (maybe without data).
3. The SELiunx is completely different so you need to work around that if you don't re-install first.
4. Any out of core FC3 programs may stop working so they need to be re-installed anyway to get the FC4 versions (because they are not being upgraded.)
5. It is not that big of deal to install and reconfigure, and you need to do a yum update after install to get things right or you will be hacking old bugs on FC4.

Yes, as any computer system upgrade goes, undo your facny viedo drivers, undo your fancy video cards and put in a basic card, revert to ps2 keyboard, and mouse from wireless or usb, etc, etc. Normal SOP for upgrading.

Upgrading is idea not a garentee.

SJ

Ed_D
23rd August 2005, 04:53 PM
Gotcha,

Well thats why we build test boxes, right?

gavinw6662
23rd August 2005, 07:28 PM
Hello,

very simple: save your datas (/home), important configurations files from /etc, important software (the driver for your modem) reformat and reinstall.

It's the better way for upgrading !

Yes that is the Best way to go about it!!

Salta Photos - Bhilai Travel Photos on Instagram - Accra Photos on Instagram -