PDA

View Full Version : two nic cards bind: Permission denied

oystercatcher
11th August 2005, 07:36 PM
FC4 on a machine with two nic cards and only 1 nic is ever in use at a time. If I boot the system
alternating between cards, things seem ok. If I try to switch the cable after the system
boots it seems that the alternate nic is blocked somehow. If I ping another system
the ping defaults to the nic plugged in during boot if I try to ping specifying the interface
ping -I 10.10.20.100 10.10.20.110

I get bind: Permission denied, now my guess is this has something to do with
xinetd or tcp wrappers but not sure. Has anyone run into this problem and knows
how to get around it without a reboot?

MaegRil
11th August 2005, 08:15 PM
Well, it could be that the ethernet connection for that NIC that doesn't have the cable at boot time isn't brought up at boot automatically.
So, you'd have to manually bring it up.

Maybe??

oystercatcher
11th August 2005, 08:25 PM
Alternate nic card was activated manually after booting and cable moved to the alternate nic. I had it deactivated at boot for testing while trying to figure out this problem. eth0 10.10.20.100 eth1 10.10.20.200 subnet mask 255.255.0.0
Also same symptoms when both cards are activated at boot.

MaegRil
11th August 2005, 08:40 PM
And only one NIC works when they are both have cables connected at boot time?
If they are to the same network, then the traffic will only flow through one of them. (unless they're teamed)

When you swap cables after boot and activate the alternate NIC manually, do you deactivate the other NIC? (if not, try it)

oystercatcher
11th August 2005, 09:38 PM
thanks MaegRil, once the first nic was deactivated the other one started working.
I think I will have to look into the teamed configuration you mentioned, although
just deact and act the interfaces is simple.

On the ping and -I parameter it seems that it is possible to use this form and leave
both interfaces active, root may be required
ping -I eth1 10.10.20.110

Ikoma Travel Photos on Instagram - Singida Photos on Instagram - Ballymena