PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial FAQ Updated for Fedora Core 4!

Avatraxiom
26th July 2005, 09:54 AM
Hello, users of Fedora Core! The Unofficial Fedora FAQ (http://www.fedorafaq.org) has been updated for Fedora Core 4! This means I've gone over all the questions and made sure that they were totally current for Fedora Core 4, and added some new information for Fedora Core 4 users.

One of the major updates in the Fedora Core 4 FAQ is an entirely new, super-simple method of configuring yum.

There are many other nice updates, too, including a new style for parts of the FAQ.

The old Fedora Core 3 FAQ has been archived at: http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc3/

As always, I love getting contributions for the FAQ! If you have any ideas, or you have any comments about the FAQ, contribute (http://www.fedorafaq.org/contribute/)!

-Max

Jesus-Franco
26th July 2005, 07:28 PM
YES!!!! I love the way you write your faqs. Awesome news. This is really good.

EDIT: Just saw the new layout. Really sharp man :cool:

gravis
26th July 2005, 08:39 PM
I'm so waiting for the rpmforge repo. Some packages are available on several repos, and conflicts with each others :(

bubudiu
26th July 2005, 08:49 PM
Is this for real? This makes fedora a laughing stock when you consider what is out there for the likes of debian/ubuntu. I'm sorry to spoil the party but this seems like a schoolboy attempt.

- Where did you get the notion that these were the frequently asked questions?
- Look at what is asked on the mailing lists/fedora forum etc etc
- It should be relabeled as a personal homepage not a "fedorafaq".

Avatraxiom
26th July 2005, 08:56 PM
YES!!!! I love the way you write your faqs. Awesome news. This is really good.

EDIT: Just saw the new layout. Really sharp man :cool:

Thanks! :-)

-Max

tejas
26th July 2005, 09:16 PM
Very good

I love the new format

But please, post the various repos you are using / what is in the files in /etc/yum.repos.d

Linux The Great
26th July 2005, 09:18 PM
Is this for real? This makes fedora a laughing stock when you consider what is out there for the likes of debian/ubuntu. I'm sorry to spoil the party but this seems like a schoolboy attempt.

Once someone has installed fedora, these are questions they are likely to have. I'm sorry but if you look at most linux forums, people are not asking how to compile their kernel. They just want to play mp3s and visit flash websites. His website provides the easiest way of getting these sorts of things working.

This man deserves a six pack of beer from everyone who visits his site. Now step off, son.

Avatraxiom
26th July 2005, 09:34 PM
Very good

I love the new format

Thank you! :-)

But please, post the various repos you are using / what is in the files in /etc/yum.repos.d

[maxka@localhost ~]$ rpm -qlp http://www.fedorafaq.org/yum | grep repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/dag.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/dries.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/flash.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/jpackage.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/kde-redhat.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/newrpms.repo

Jesus-Franco
26th July 2005, 09:38 PM

And what questions on the ubuntu/debian guides haves been answerd that the following guides dont.

http://www.fedorafaq.org/
http://evolutioncolt.com/fedoraguide/
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc4.shtml
http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc4-tips.php

jtang613
26th July 2005, 09:43 PM
Well done. This is a key resource for newbies and daily users alike.

You should talk to sebgate20 of FedoraGuide fame about merging both your content into Fedorafaq.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60247&highlight=fedoraguide
http://evolutioncolt.com/fedoraguide/

Now that would be a serious force in the Fedora community.

m2c,
Jason

3K Tech
26th July 2005, 09:47 PM
This man deserves a six pack of beer from everyone who visits his site. Now step off, son.

I hope root beer will do! (I'm only 15) :D

-3K Tech

smfinley
26th July 2005, 10:08 PM
What many people do not realize is that there is a distinct fragmentation in the Fedora Core community that is tragically divisive and counterproductive. I'm referring to what I call the livna.org/fedorafaq.org/#fedora at freenode.org gang as opposed to the FreshRPMS, PlanetCCRMA, Dries and DAG (RPMforge.net) camp. The issue is perhaps best summarized in this statement by Dag WieŽrs (http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#D). (Of course the other issue is the deplorable state of user documentation for Fedora Core. This is why independent individuals, including myself, are trying to create some viable how-tos.) Until these two stubborn and elitist groups can get together and create a common rpm compatibility protocol the situation will continue to create dependency chaos and the superior package management of the Ubuntus of the world along with their comprehensive user documentation will rule the day.

totaka
27th July 2005, 01:26 AM
Fedora Extras seems to be the way for Fedora to me. There is a way to join Fedora Extras, but I do not know how to join Dag's repository or RPMforge. His repository is extremely useful. However as user collaborating projects like Fedora Extras, DOCs, News and Marketing became so active. his repository looks like a dinosaur from Red Hat Linux era.

Ubuntu guide is also one man's effort, but why it is better than other documenatation is because he created a thread in Ubuntu Forum, so people can contribute to the guide more easily.
Below is the thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=23368&page=37&pp=10

So I think what Red Hat is preaching in their magazine is right.
Customers(Users) are in charge or in control or whatever.

(BTW, new look of FedoraFAQ is so cool. I am translating the FAQ to Japanese now.)

mit
27th July 2005, 03:06 PM
One of the major updates in the Fedora Core 4 FAQ is an entirely new, super-simple method of configuring yum.

Thanks, It is looking good, lots of nice info.

I like the new way of installing extra repositories, by using an rpm file, this is the way to go.

I found out that the livna repository was enabled by default, that can cause problems with mixing repositories:

Ex.

running command like

yum --enablerepo=atrpms install mplayer

cant make problems because both livna and atrpms are enabled.

the right way (IMHO) is to enable livna by default and use

--enablerepo=livna when installing from livna.

in that way you can run commands like

yum update

and only packages from the default repositories (base,updates,extras) are updated.

totaka
27th July 2005, 08:42 PM
If you are worried about mixing repository problem, then enabling livna is probably right for you.
ATrpms will replace core packages. Dag's repository is not guaranteed to work with Extras.
Even if livna is disabled by default, installing packages from those repositories will increase the risk of mixing repositories problem with Extras and Core.

Livna and Fresh are compatible with both core and extras. FedoraFAQ has always been using livna, because of safety concern for Fedora beginners. So it shouldn't be surprising to see livna repository enabled by default. This is good because yum update can also update packages provided from livna.

If you want to use ATrpms and Dag's repository and concerned with mixing repository problem, then smartpm may be better choice for you, if you can configure it right.

IMO mixing repositories problem is not big problem. I had no experience of mixing repositories problem in FC3 with --enablerepo option.

stiperstones
27th July 2005, 09:40 PM
Excellent howto for all even the newbies to fedora core this is were i started with fedora when i started.
For a young person to pass on is knowledge is a absolute tribute to him/her and the fedora core cause.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

analogkid
27th July 2005, 09:51 PM
I hope root beer will do! (I'm only 15) :D

-3K Tech

Oh, c'mon. Not another 15 yr old linux guru... Don't tell me, yer a sysadmin, right?

LOL -- Kidding, 3K Tech

macgregor
27th July 2005, 11:07 PM

Are you for real? Most of the questions in the Unofficial Fedora FAQ are the exact same ones that people ask me when I help them switch to Linux/Fedora, and I have helped more than 50 people switch from Windows to Fedora. Avatraxiom's work is awesome.

Jman
28th July 2005, 12:13 AM
Hooray! I particularly like the yum config rpm, but calling the file yum was a bit confusing at first.

Avatraxiom
28th July 2005, 07:25 AM
Hooray! I particularly like the yum config rpm, but calling the file yum was a bit confusing at first.

Yeah, I did that to make it a really short and easy-to-remember URL. :-)

-Max

Avatraxiom
28th July 2005, 07:26 AM
Oh, and everybody who's left a nice comment:

Thank you! :-) It really does make me happy to hear your kind words.

-Max

gertdesmet
28th July 2005, 02:33 PM
Thank you so much for this. Your faq is greatly appreciated and saves us many troubles.

I was going to say something about bubudiu's reply but I guess it's not even worth it. :rolleyes:

Keep up the great job Max !

bubudiu
28th July 2005, 11:37 PM
Oh, and everybody who's left a nice comment:

Thank you! :-) It really does make me happy to hear your kind words.

-Max

I feel like the sherrif in smokey and the bandit but :-

- Why did you ignore the fedoraguide chap when he requested you work together?
- Why is it a "fedorafaq" when the fedora community is not involved?
- How does this compare to the debian or ubuntu faq sites?
- How come the debian/ubuntu sites involved their respective communities?
- Why don't you call it something else like "Max's faq" so as not to bring "fedora" in to disrepute?

jtang613
29th July 2005, 12:09 AM
I feel like the sherrif in smokey and the bandit but :-

- Why did you ignore the fedoraguide chap when he requested you work together?
- Why is it a "fedorafaq" when the fedora community is not involved?
- How does this compare to the debian or ubuntu faq sites?
- How come the debian/ubuntu sites involved their respective communities?
- Why don't you call it something else like "Max's faq" so as not to bring "fedora" in to disrepute?
Perhaps I missed something - why the hostility? The people who write FedoraFaq and FedoraGuide are kind enough to volunteer their time so others may benefit from their expertise. Which FAQ or Guide did you contribute to?

If you have something constructive to add to the FAQ in order to make it better - feel free to submit it for consideration. But this type of banter doesn't seem to benefit anyone.

Just my 2 cents,
Jason

bubudiu
29th July 2005, 12:27 AM
Perhaps I missed something - why the hostility? The people who write FedoraFaq and FedoraGuide are kind enough to volunteer their time so others may benefit from their expertise. Which FAQ or Guide did you contribute to?

If you have something constructive to add to the FAQ in order to make it better - feel free to submit it for consideration. But this type of banter doesn't seem to benefit anyone.

Just my 2 cents,
Jason

As per the terms of the fedoraproject, participation means criticism and disagreement. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and i have tried to put this without any ill-feeling. I appreciate that Max and the other dudes are volunteering but why not join together and produce something worthwhile? Max has not agreed to work with the other dudes so you can ask him about that.

What methodology is used to gauge "frequently asked questions"? Why not follow the procedures that Debian/Ubuntu did?

Or are you happy to see the likes of Debian and its variants (ubuntu & mepis) ruling the day?

panini
29th July 2005, 03:55 AM
first of all thanx for such a nice faq...its really of great help to a beginner like me!
i actually did an update of fc3 to fc4 using cds.
now i am am using the yum cong. provided in the fedorafaq.......but when i go in for update command i get an dependency error of xine-lib, would like to know what is going wrong........thanx in advance......here i have posted the error message.....

Reading repository metadata in from local files
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package xine-lib.i386 0:1.0.1-0.lvn.11.4 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libvcdinfo.so.0(VCDINFO_0) for package: xine-lib
--> Processing Dependency: libiso9660.so.4 for package: xine-lib
--> Processing Dependency: libvcdinfo.so.0 for package: xine-lib
--> Processing Dependency: libfusion-0.9.so.22 for package: xine-lib
--> Processing Dependency: libdirect-0.9.so.22 for package: xine-lib
--> Processing Dependency: libcdio.so.6(CDIO_6) for package: xine-lib
--> Processing Dependency: libdirectfb-0.9.so.22 for package: xine-lib
--> Processing Dependency: libcdio.so.6 for package: xine-lib
--> Processing Dependency: libavcodec.so for package: xine-lib
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
---> Package vcdimager.i386 0:0.7.21-0.lvn.2.4 set to be updated
---> Package directfb.i386 0:0.9.22-2.fc4 set to be updated
---> Package libcdio.i386 0:0.75-3.fc4 set to be updated
---> Package ffmpeg.i386 0:0.4.9-0.lvn.0.17.20050427.4 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libImlib2.so.1 for package: ffmpeg
--> Processing Dependency: liba52.so.0 for package: ffmpeg
--> Processing Dependency: libfaac.so.0 for package: ffmpeg
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
---> Package faac.i386 0:1.24-0.lvn.3.4 set to be updated
---> Package imlib2.i386 0:1.2.0-8.fc4 set to be updated
---> Package a52dec.i386 0:0.7.4-0.lvn.7.4 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: libmp4v2.so.0 for package: faac
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libmp4v2.so.0 is needed by package faac

when i try to install faac or libmp4v2.so.0 ,yum doesnt do anything!

stiperstones
29th July 2005, 04:33 PM
As per the terms of the fedoraproject, participation means criticism and disagreement. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and i have tried to put this without any ill-feeling. I appreciate that Max and the other dudes are volunteering but why not join together and produce something worthwhile? Max has not agreed to work with the other dudes so you can ask him about that.

What methodology is used to gauge "frequently asked questions"? Why not follow the procedures that Debian/Ubuntu did?

Or are you happy to see the likes of Debian and its variants (ubuntu & mepis) ruling the day?

HI bubudiu
I dont want to get into a flame war here,
But what this person has done is his help people answer questions to the most frequently aked questions on the forum this way you dont have to type question's in the forum seach banner and troll through alot of relevent post's to the same answers. Just easy nice and simple especialy for new user's of Fedora Core 2,3,4 who want a system up and running quickly. Then people come back to the forums to ask questions has they start to learn their way around their system. I think this applys to all flavours of Linux.
You had to start somewere. :rolleyes:
Yes Debian and Ubunta have there way of doing things and i admire them for that as i am a user myself. Of both of thes systems along with genetoo and slackware cento,s, sme server and clark connect and ipcop I are still learning different thing's everyday with GNU/Linux that is a beauty of this operating system.

handy
31st July 2005, 06:58 PM
People new to Fedora need this FAQ it has some essential information for them, the faq is both informative and EASY. And to this Smokey-and-the-bandits guy, please get a live IF you think debian/ubuntu are that 1337, please use that, else get a live ....

Tegina Photos - Shawnee Travel Photos - Armyansk Photos