PDA

View Full Version : Wireless adapter

teilhk
22nd July 2005, 02:23 AM
Hello:

I recently installed Fedora Core 4 in my computer, and I want to configure my wireless adapter: Linksys WUSB11 Version 2.6. Well it uses the driver at76c503a, and I got it from Berlios. The compilation went well, and in the installation I got an error in the middle of everything (a directory not found), but it was ignored by the process, and the installation finished without reporting errors., so I guess I have the driver installed already. The adapter, after that didn't show in the Internet Configuration Wizard, so, I made a file "ifcfg-wlan0" with the following content, and placed it in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.0.0
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=10
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
WIRELESS_MODE=managed
wIRELESS_ESSID=(my essid)
WIRELESS_RATE=11M
wIRELESS_EMC_KEY=(my wireless enc. key)
DHCP_HOSTNAME=(my hostaname's name)
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes.

My problem is that I can't still see the wireless adapter in the Internet Configuration Wizard, and most important, I cannot connect.

I am using this machine to multiple boot and two of the OSs are Windows XP and Mandrake 10.1 where the adapter needed almost no configuration at all (I didn't have to load the driver in Mandrake, it detected the adapter and it was only a matter of inserting the relevant parameters).

I will appreciate the help you can give me to set my Internet connection in Fedora. Most of the commands I have in Mandrake do not work here, like "iwconfig", "lsmod", "modprobe", and many more.

Teilhard.

chili555
22nd July 2005, 03:11 AM
Try those commands as su - , rather than su. In fact, try ifconfig wlan0 up and let us know the output.

teilhk
22nd July 2005, 08:55 AM
Thank you for your feedback. This is the outcome of "ifconfig wlan0":

[root@localhost network-scripts]# ifconfig wlan0
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:06:25:48:3C:17
inet6 addr: fe80::206:25ff:fe48:3c17/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5124 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:57 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:334756 (326.9 KiB) TX bytes:11034 (10.7 KiB)

chili555
22nd July 2005, 02:32 PM
Good! Now we need an IP address. Let's do ifup wlan0. If you get no errors, then recheck ifconfig wlan0 to see if you got an IP address. You are looking for an entry like this:

inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

If you get an IP address, ping -c5 <your-routers-IP>, then try ping -c5 www.yahoo.com.

Let us know.

teilhk
22nd July 2005, 02:57 PM
I have been trying that command several times with no luck. I get:
[root@localhost ~]# ifup wlan0
Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I must say that when I added "alias wlan0 at76c503" to /etc/modprobe.conf, I got the entry for the adapter in the Internet configuration wizard. I then, let the wizard write "ifcfg-wlan0", and now it reads:
--------------------------------------------
# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
GATEWAY=
TYPE=Wireless
DEVICE=wlan0
HWADDR=00:06:25:48:3c:17
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=PAULI
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
ESSID=2WIRE349
CHANNEL=6
MODE=Managed
RATE='11 Mb/s'
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I had to change the channel to 6 by hand because the wizard has it grayed in 1 and I cannot change it in there. If I open the wizard, it is stubbornly set to 1 in spite that I have changed it in ifcfg-wlan0. I hope you can find something.

Teilhard.

chili555
22nd July 2005, 05:59 PM
Every reference I can read says the /etc/modprobe.conf entry should be alias wlan0 at76c503-rfmd. Are you sure yours is correct?

Also, try, in ifcfg-wlan0, RATE="auto"

Then do dhclient wlan0 and let us know.

teilhk
24th July 2005, 07:13 PM
Hello:

I am sorry I am so late to reply, but I've had tons of things to do. I added the instruction you give me to ifcfg-wlan0 with the quotation marks, and upon doing "dhclient wlan0" some time is elapsed and then nothing happens. I tried 'auto' without the quotation marks, and it's the same only immediately, that is there is no some time elapsed betwen issuing "dhclient wlan0" to go back to the prompt again. I still cannot connect, hope you have some more ideas.

Teilhard.

Kampala Travel Photos - Medina Estates Instagram Photos - Dalmine Instagram Photos