PDA

View Full Version : New to Fedora Core, Not to Linux.

tsuehpsyde
17th July 2005, 01:19 AM
Here's the setup.

I got myself a rented dedicated server for running a gaming server on, as well as an FTP for some business stuff. Basically, I have a few problems. One, screen is nowhere to be found. If I run yum install screen, I get this:

[root@localhost tsuehpsyde]# yum install screen
Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
Repository base already added, not adding again
Setting up Install Process
Setting up Repos
base 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
updates-released 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Reading repository metadata in from local files
base : ################################################## 898/898
updates-re: ################################################## 898/898
Parsing package install arguments
No Match for argument: screen
Nothing to do
[root@localhost tsuehpsyde]#

I find it hard to believe screen isn't installable? So I tried compiling the actual .tar.gz, but there's no compiler installed. :/ How do I go about installed GCC? It said I needed kernel-headers, but when I did yum install kernel-headers, it had nothing.

And lastly, how do I install VSFTPd, as yum doesn't seem to have that either? I'm used to using Gentoo so I'm used to portage, but it seems yum isn't as robust as portage....also, any tips or hints about the OS would be appriciated.

QWERTY?
17th July 2005, 03:27 AM
haha i thought i had that same problem

then i realised screen was already on there (FC2, FC3, FC4)

shams
17th July 2005, 03:39 AM
h,
no arguments means the pakage is not avaliable in the added repositories, to solve this problem you should add the fedora core rpms, for the kerenl headers,you need to install your kenrel source rpm (src.rpm) from the foedara webstie. as i did the query both the screen and vsftpd are included in the fc4 cd's so you can install if you have cd 's or from the core rpm packages.

markkuk
17th July 2005, 11:42 AM
Your yum configuration is broken, because both screen and vsftpd are in the base FC distribution and yum should find them. The warnings on duplicate definitions for base and updates-released also indicate that those repositories are broken in your yum setup.
What's in your /etc/yum.conf and in /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo ?

Antananarivo Travel Photos - Bhopal Photos on Instagram - Ciudad Lopez Mateos Instagram Photos -