PDA

View Full Version : hdd problem

b4u
26th June 2005, 05:52 PM
hi list

I have a big problem with my HDD. 2 days ago was a problem in my house with power supply. When i start the computer he ask me to run fsck , i runned but the power supply problem come again. Now, when i wish to start computer I can't acces hdd. with partition magiq it reports like no format type exists.

what can i do to recover my data's.......pls

tejas
26th June 2005, 06:17 PM
No clue what might have been damaged.

With fsck,it is not fool proof

Get a live CD, such as knoppix or DSL.

Run the live CD, and backup what data you have, then see how bad / was damaged (broken files will be in /lost+found).

From there consider if you want to do fresh install, try to update, whatever

tharg
26th June 2005, 06:28 PM
hmm, in this case what i would do is:
get an other HDD,put it in primary ide, while putting your "problem HDD" in a secundary ide slot.
Install linux on the other HDD, and try to acces/fsck the partitions on the problem HDD.

b4u
26th June 2005, 07:06 PM
i have 2 HDD : first hda1 with xp and 2-nd with fc3. how to boot in xp now, when my grub fails ton start?

tejas
26th June 2005, 07:37 PM
As I said before, download and run a live CD.

That should be the easiest thing to do.

Once in, copy all valuable data to XP drive (or burn to CDs)

b4u
28th June 2005, 02:38 PM
I have a livecd now. when I give fsck it tells me that:
"couldn't find ext2 superblock ". my linux OS was on hdc with 2 partittion: swp,ext2. Now a see jst 1 partition with no format type

tejas
28th June 2005, 03:39 PM
Live cds detect swap partitions and automatically use them,
so you will not 'see' the swap partition anywhere

You cannot open the partition at all?

Try manually mounting in the live CD
mount -s will tolerate bad sectors (s=sloppy)

Which liveCD have you? Knoppix has read support for ntfs, I don't know about other live CDs.

Why not reinstall GRUB? Put in CD1 and boot from it. At the prompt, type in Linux Rescue. I really don't know how much you can save at this point, however.

If you cannot mount the partition in knoppix, even without the mount -s, I don't know what you can do

b4u
29th June 2005, 09:42 AM
manny thanks

i have resolved the problem with livecd Mepis. I have made a new partition on hdc with linux fdisk. after that:
file -sk /dev/hdc1
mount -t ext3 -o -ro /dev/hdc1 /mnt/temp

a have recovered some files like this but not all
umount ....
fsck /dev/hdc1
recovered again some data, but not all.

i don't hope to recover more. it's true?

Dundee - Keffi - Weesp Photos on Instagram