PDA

View Full Version : please someone say it ain't so...

blinksilver
12th June 2005, 06:59 AM
the new ati drivers break compatiibility with any GCC4 system, please say it ain't so, some one the test releases has to know......thanks

tejas
12th June 2005, 07:38 AM
don't worry, someone will fix it in a few days.

Which ati anyway?

some of em are open source, and some are proprietry, precompiled

blinksilver
12th June 2005, 08:27 AM
the precomipled ones, sadly, i really want dynamicClocks and 3D

blinksilver
12th June 2005, 06:10 PM
wait i just realized something, how are they, going to fix it, it is a binary package compiled with a compiler that has no binary compatibility with GCC4, and Ati has never been that hot on caring, looks like i will have to wait a while for it, how sad...FC4

tejas
12th June 2005, 06:30 PM
hey, I'm going to be in the same boat tomorrow morning.

have some faith, the fedorafoundation would not have accepted GCC 4 on the release if they felt that it would screw up everyones computer

+, you may be able to edit the source so that it no longer blacklists GCC (the configure script). Anyway, I'm still yet to experience GCC 4 problems, will keep posting.

tejas
12th June 2005, 06:33 PM
According to this:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-May/msg00961.html

GCC 4 is supposed to be OK in FC4.

Perhaps it is a KDE specific problem. It appears to be blacklisted due to KDE

blinksilver
12th June 2005, 10:24 PM
maybe i am missunderstanding what you are saying, but here is what i know, the ati closed source drivers are built on RHEL4 (which is what i am running) so they were compiled on GG3.3(or 3.4) i don't care to check, but a small wrapper like thing needs to be compiled so that the drivers will run on the spcific machine's(in this case my FC4 X86_64 lappy) kernel, but since that portion of the drivers will be compiled wth GCC4 there will be a comflict with the ati drivers, as a protion of it will be compiled GCC3.X and another part of it GCC4. correct me if i am missing something

Tchibanga - Chatelet Instagram Photos - Palagiano Travel Photos on Instagram