PDA

View Full Version : Start from scratch?

marcosc
9th June 2005, 05:53 AM
Hi,

I've recently set up a dual boot between FC3 and XP pro (the latter I never fully got working because of grub issues in my SATA)

Either way, I've been trying to start from scratch and reformat the whole hard disk, but I can't really find a place to do this. Can I do this from the linux rescue console? I couldn't find any GUI options from the FC3 installation.

The XP Pro CD strangely fails to boot now... so I'd really love to just remove everything and start fresh.

Thank you for any tips.

Regards,
Marcos

bytesniper
9th June 2005, 06:06 AM
The XP Pro CD strangely fails to boot now... so I'd really love to just remove everything and start fresh. i ran into that too doing some testing. the xp64bit edition cd will boot just fine though. weird.

it all depends on whether or not your going to install WinXP as a dual boot agian or just Fedora. if your just going to dump it all and install Fedora then just boot off the first fedora cd and use its parition utility suring setup.

if your going to keep the dual boot then you really should install xp first (from what ive heard, ive never dual booted xp) in which case you need to find a way to boot from the winxp cd.

smithy73
9th June 2005, 06:08 AM
The "Ultimate Boot Disk CD" is what I've used in the past. Has a whole lot of other tools as well.

marcosc
9th June 2005, 06:29 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your help so far. I guess what i'm really wondering right now is what's the right command (that I could execute in 'linux rescue' mode) to format the whole HD? Using fdisk maybe? Is this even possible? I guess/hope the XP CD will be read then, it used to read it fine before FC3 was installed.. weird.

Either way, once I know that I'll pretty much be set. Thanks again!

Regards,
Marcos

Kumasi Photos on Instagram - Vilnius Photos on Instagram - Tiruchirappalli Instagram Photos -