PDA

View Full Version : Freezes

GoLoGo
7th June 2005, 07:53 AM
I just installed Fedora Core 3 using the 4'cds. Everything Installed properly, then when the installation was complete I had to click on the last button, continue or next i think it was. After I pressed it it was suppost to load the login screen, but it just stayed grayish brown with the cursor in the middle of the screen and it froze. I restarted, everything loaded and it ran an integrity check because I didnt shutdown properly it said. So on the check everything passed except eth0 IP because I dont got network cable plugged and SMARTD.. or something. When it finished it just froze again... with the Fedora Core Logo and the integrity check window showing it finished, last thing said was STARTING HAL Daemon: [OK]. I tried restarting many times, but still freezes... im new to this, so I have no idea what to do, I tried doing a few things from other posts, but it didnt work. Any help is appreciated. :D

pembo13
7th June 2005, 01:20 PM
Start the machine, wait for the grub screen, when it gets there, press 'e' (i think) to edit. Edit the second line (this edit is temporary) to add a 3 to the end. Then press 'b' to boot. This will cause you to boot up without any pretty GUI, but that's ok. Hopefully things would have booted ok. If so, type and run the following command (assuming your network can be setup easily) `yum -y update`. This will update your entire system, but will take a great deal of time. Hopefully, you're just exeperiencing a problem that has already been fixed.

OR you could just wait one more week for FC4 to come out, and then download and install that.

roh
8th June 2005, 04:30 PM
I'm having the same problem on an old "Star" w/PII. I tried the steps above but and it booted to the shell but frooze where I was unable to log in. Then I used the rescue disk and was able to get in and update doing the yum -y update thing and it still hangs right after the message "starting HAL daemond". Does any one know of any other alternatives.
Thank you

robertdaleweir
29th October 2005, 04:16 PM
I'm having the same problem on an old "Star" w/PII. I tried the steps above but and it booted to the shell but frooze where I was unable to log in. Then I used the rescue disk and was able to get in and update doing the yum -y update thing and it still hangs right after the message "starting HAL daemond". Does any one know of any other alternatives.
Thank you

Hi! I just loaded a X86-64 Fedora Core 4 Purchased Distro onto an Athlon 64. I installed it and all appeared well, as it said Installation Completed Successfully. When I re-booted it ran until it started the HAL daemon and it froze. Some minor disk activity was detected by the activity light but nothing appeared on the screen at all. The Login Screen was the next thing that should have appeared, but didnīt.
I let it set for a few (5)minutes but assumed that it had frozen. I tried a few times but got exactly the same outcome. I would, as with yourself, like to know if this has been encountered by others.
I was installing this on a friends machine so I cannot attach any specs on the machine, I know it was an ASUS mobo and an Athlon 64 Processor with 512 Megs of Ram.
:confused:

multescugeorge@
29th October 2005, 04:32 PM
See (when you can) if adding:
init 1
at the kernel command line in grub gets you a login prompt.
If so, then give the command: service network start
then update(who knows)
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
yum -y update

robertdaleweir
1st November 2005, 04:54 AM
See (when you can) if adding:
init 1
at the kernel command line in grub gets you a login prompt.
If so, then give the command: service network start
then update(who knows)
rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*
yum -y update

Hi!

I want to thank you for the quick reply and I have done as you said. I up2date(d) to 2.6.13-1532FC_4 and it went very well. The same issue appears to exist, however. I believe that the Hal daemon mentioned before may not have been where the Boot actually stalled. I believe it got by that and hung when trying to render an X Window Login Screen.
I have the specs on my friendś machine and will put them here:
1) Processor - AMD Athlon 64 2800+ w/800MHz FSB 512k
2) Mainboard - Asus K8V-X, Socket 754, Via K8T800 chipset, 1AGP8x/5PCI/3DDR, w/sound, Gigabit Lan, SATA USB 2.0, ATA-133
3) Memory - 512 MB PC3200 400MHz (Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512)
4) Video - ATI Radeon 9250 128MB DDR AGP8x w/TV Video Card Model: RADEON 9250
I get a black screen this time as well and the hal daemon started (ok). One thing that happened this time was I did get a Login Prompt (in a console like mode) but when I tried to enter, as a user, it went west on me.
My friend says that the hal daemon thing was (ok) before and he was correct. I have a feeling that we may not have driver support in the x86-64 Binary for the Radeon 9250 Video Card, or something like that. Maybe we should revert to x86-32 Distro for now. Would again, much appreciate your advice.
Robert

BBXRocker
1st November 2005, 10:26 AM
I had the same problem with Fedora 3 but installing version 4 solved the problem. The only way i found to enter graphical mode with this issue in FC3 was entering init level 2 (pembo13 tells how to change init level, just change 3 to 2) become root and then execute the command "gdm" (without quotes). It should allow you to select the user and start kde or gnome. Its an ugly way to make it work, i know. :)

BeatBoxRocker.

robertdaleweir
2nd November 2005, 06:35 PM
I had the same problem with Fedora 3 but installing version 4 solved the problem. The only way i found to enter graphical mode with this issue in FC3 was entering init level 2 (pembo13 tells how to change init level, just change 3 to 2) become root and then execute the command "gdm" (without quotes). It should allow you to select the user and start kde or gnome. Its an ugly way to make it work, i know. :)

BeatBoxRocker.

Thank you for your suggestion. I did what you suggested and the screen went black (not even a cursor) and never came back. We reinstalled Fedora completely again and we arrived at exactly the same issue. I will keep trying. Thanks
Robert

BlakStone
18th December 2005, 05:00 PM
I had this same issue on an install of x86_64 FC 4 today. The "fix" was to disable the radeon driver. This is accomplished by booting via the FC DVD to "linux rescue" and nanoing /mnt/sysimage/etc/X11/xorg.conf and changing the following line to Driver "vesa".
Driver "radeon"

Hopefully an updated radeon driver will be available soon that will not lock up on initialization. If anybody knows how I may obtain such a driver I'm all ears.

-BlakStone

foxmuldar
20th December 2005, 12:00 AM
I just tried to install FC4 over FC1 and it stalled on running installer or something like that, i have install FC4 over FC1 before, why won't it install? Plaese help?

Thanks, foxmuldar