PDA

View Full Version : So You Wanna Use Xen?

meslick
6th June 2005, 03:23 AM
Yes, I would like to tryout Xen. What's a good complimentary OS to FC4 to use with Xen? Something free. I'm not going to spend money on SuSE. Anyone have any good ideas? Perhaps a distro that runs Mono?

Teak

bytesniper
6th June 2005, 03:34 AM
ive have used slackware for years and when i "switched" over to fedora i always found myself putting slackware back on at least one machine here. it has no added kernel patches, no frills, stil uses a curses installer :) . very simple package management all done with scripts, nothing like rpm or apt. call me a masochist but i find it a very sane place to be sometimes :D

meslick
6th June 2005, 04:18 AM
No no. I fear slackware. What about Solaris 10? Sounds like the perfect Xen: Unix/Linux.

bytesniper
6th June 2005, 04:44 AM
you fear slackware but thinking about installing solaris 10 x86? hmm.. interesting. although i do have to say the solaris java desktop is pure eye candy, but i spent a good 2 days trying to get an onboard broadcom nic working. even when i started on linux way back when i dont think i ever spent 2 solid days on a single device...

Ned
6th June 2005, 12:23 PM
Aren't Solaris 10 and Sun's Java Desktop two very different things? I thought the former was Solaris for x86 whereas the latter is simply Linux with some java bits added and given a flashy name.

Ned

SlowJet
6th June 2005, 12:49 PM
Solarus is a unix system (based on Berkly bsd, Ithink. It's all running into one brain cell.)

Sun' Java Desktop only run on the Sun Servers for now and isn't ported to x86, I think.)
So they used Gnome for the desktop on x86. (of cousre Gname was recompiled to do that.)

Just like all the O/S running under XEN need to have Kernal's ported (patched and recompiled) to be XENatised.

So you guys volenteering to do all those O/S's for us. ;)
While you're at it, do Windows Xp and MAC OS X 11.4.

SJ

RahulSundaram
6th June 2005, 05:54 PM
Solarus is a unix system (based on Berkly bsd, Ithink. It's all running into one brain cell.)

Sun' Java Desktop only run on the Sun Servers for now and isn't ported to x86, I think.)
So they used Gnome for the desktop on x86. (of cousre Gname was recompiled to do that.)

Just like all the O/S running under XEN need to have Kernal's ported (patched and recompiled) to be XENatised.

So you guys volenteering to do all those O/S's for us. ;)
While you're at it, do Windows Xp and MAC OS X 11.4.

SJ

Sun's Java Desktop system is a modified version of GNOME just FYI

Rahul
Red Hat Inc

fsck
6th June 2005, 06:11 PM
Ned,
Sun make Solaris, and they make Sun Java Desktop System for Linux, which includes a modified SuSE install and Gnome front-end. Plus they make Sun Java Desktop System for Solaris which is, frankly, just a Gnome theme and some tools for Solaris. The idea being that the system looks the same whether you are using the Linux client or a thin client connected to the Solaris machine.
More information can be found here: http://www.sun.com/software/javadesktopsystem/ and here: http://jdshelp.org

kylemaxwell
8th June 2005, 03:54 PM
Solaris isn't purely BSD-based; in fact, many years ago (I think with 2.5.1 but don't quote me on that) they switched to being primarily System V-based. It's still something of a hybrid and, of course, light years beyond the original OSs (as it should be and indeed as are the BSD offspring).

fsck
8th June 2005, 03:59 PM
Kyle, have you been near Solaris 10 yet? I'd be interested to see what makes you think it's "way behind" the original OSs. Not a flame, but I'm genuinely interested.

kylemaxwell
8th June 2005, 04:20 PM
Light-years beyond, not behind. :)

Haven't used Sol10 yet, but we have it in testing at work and I hope to get it installed in my lab sometime later this month.

fsck
8th June 2005, 05:27 PM
Note to self: read, then post.

Apologies!

C.

Cassano Magnago Instagram Photos - Mount Isa Photos on Instagram - Bhandaria Travel Photos