PDA

View Full Version : Some Hardware Issues

josolanes
2nd June 2005, 09:53 PM
I'm having trouble with 2 hardware devices: my printer (HP LaserJet 1000) and my soundcard (SB Audigy 2 Platinum).

The printer:
I've installed the printer drivers from HP and followed their instructions very carefully. My computer "sees" the printer, and when I tell it to print a test page it says something like "printed successfully" but my printer never does anything.
I'd like to get the printer working so I don't have to restart into windoze just to print something...it just doesn't make sense to.

The soundcard:
First off, it works. It just has ~1 second lag on most things (minimize, maximize, etc,...from within KDE) and ~2-3 second lag in some games (ex: Linux Breakout 2). Other games, though, (ex: scorches3d) have no lag at all. I've updated to the newest ALSA drivers hoping this would fix my problem, but it's still around.

I know my explanations are vague, but I just can't think of anything else to add that might help. If you need any more information, please let me know and I'll supply it ASAP.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

LinuxHippy
3rd June 2005, 03:28 AM
With your soundcard, since you know the make and model you can see if it was recognized correctly by ALSA in alsamixer. See if your card is at the top of the screen. If it is, go here and see if they fully support your card (some SB card are not fully functional with ALSA):

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs#matrix

josolanes
3rd June 2005, 03:46 AM
With your soundcard, since you know the make and model you can see if it was recognized correctly by ALSA in alsamixer. See if your card is at the top of the screen. If it is, go here and see if they fully support your card (some SB card are not fully functional with ALSA):

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs#matrix
hmmm...i didn't even know about alsamixer. i ran it from the terminal and it found my graphics card...it says:

Card: Audigy 2 Platinum [SB0240P]
Chip: SigmaTel STAC9721,23
Item: Master

the "SB0240P" chipset isn't there, so i guess it's not supported...:(

is there another way to get my soundcard to work?

i don't think they'll support it any time soon, as they support earlier models and models very similar to mine, but just not the one i'm using.

Thanks for helping...I really appreciate it! :)

Jman
3rd June 2005, 05:04 AM
The printer:
I've installed the printer drivers from HP and followed their instructions very carefully.
HP's drivers are already packaged in Fedora. Add a printer with the config tool on the menu at System Settings > Printing. There should be a HP LaserJet 1000 driver.

josolanes
3rd June 2005, 05:06 AM
HP's drivers are already packaged in Fedora. Add a printer with the config tool on the menu at System Settings > Printing. There should be a HP LaserJet 1000 driver.
That was the first thing I tried, then when that didn't work I resorted to downloading the drivers from their site...same thing happened both times---nothing :(

it's really strange....fedora seems to find it without any problems, but it looks like my printer just won't do what it's supposed to. i go to test page, print...fedora says it was sent fine, but the printer does nothing at all.

any idea how i can fix this?

donrob
8th June 2005, 09:08 AM
I have had the same problems with the HP LaserJet 1000 & Fedora Core 2. I read a lot of stuff around that ut the blame on the printe - something t do with cheaper components - do't recall.

DOwnloading foo2zjs.tar.gz from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com, comiling and installing fixed it.

So - HP? Fedora? Interesting that it is still a prob in FC3

don

josolanes
8th June 2005, 03:49 PM
I have had the same problems with the HP LaserJet 1000 & Fedora Core 2. I read a lot of stuff around that ut the blame on the printe - something t do with cheaper components - do't recall.

DOwnloading foo2zjs.tar.gz from http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com, comiling and installing fixed it.

So - HP? Fedora? Interesting that it is still a prob in FC3

don
thanks a lot...i'll give that a try

Taphan Hin Photos - Hamburg-Nord Photos on Instagram - Dumbarton Travel Photos on Instagram