PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade success story

fsck
28th May 2005, 07:32 PM
Well, mostly.
Upgraded from FC3 to FC4-test3 last night without a hitch. Took 3 hours to upgrade the base system (I've got lots of crap installed), and another hour running 'yum update' but the system came up post-upgrade without issue. Sound, Wireless, X, etc. just worked.
One minor annoyance, kernel-devel was missing. Has this package-name changed since FC3? Is that why it wasn't upgraded? Found it via yum anyway...

Anyhow, a great big "well done" to everyone involved with Fedora for this simple upgrade, I think I'll be sticking on Fedora for a while.

For those who are interested, the machine I upgraded is a Toshiba Tecra M2, straight off the peg.

james_in_denver
28th May 2005, 07:35 PM
Yep, kernel-devel isn't shipped with Fedora Core anymore, not needed for most people as you can build and install modules without it now......

Though for us tweakers???? ah well, it's only a short "yum install" away......

gavinw6662
29th May 2005, 12:13 AM
Well, mostly.
Upgraded from FC3 to FC4-test3 last night without a hitch. Took 3 hours to upgrade the base system (I've got lots of crap installed), and another hour running 'yum update' but the system came up post-upgrade without issue. Sound, Wireless, X, etc. just worked.
One minor annoyance, kernel-devel was missing. Has this package-name changed since FC3? Is that why it wasn't upgraded? Found it via yum anyway...

Anyhow, a great big "well done" to everyone involved with Fedora for this simple upgrade, I think I'll be sticking on Fedora for a while.

For those who are interested, the machine I upgraded is a Toshiba Tecra M2, straight off the peg.

Well sounds like everything went well. Good Job Buddy!!

Clunixchit
29th May 2005, 01:19 AM
Well, mostly.

how did you upgrade it? i want to upgrade too !!!
can you describe your procedure?

fsck
29th May 2005, 02:54 PM
Simple really, just download FC4-Test3 from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/3.92/i386/iso/ (get the ones without the SRPMS in the filename), burn to CD, boot from CD1 as usual. The installer should notice you have already got Fedora installed and offer you the chance to upgrade. Take that option and once everything is installed and the machine has rebooted, run "yum update" to get the latest updates.

Good Luck!
C.

Clunixchit
29th May 2005, 03:04 PM
ah ha!! so easy
nice !!

Nano-Tech
29th May 2005, 03:40 PM
hehe, i have also upgraded form FC3 to FC4T3 and all is running well

though now i only get sound out of my rear L+R spekers and my sub... nothing form center, or Frount L+R (my sound card is a Sound Blaster Live!)

rickyb
29th May 2005, 03:51 PM
Simple really, just download FC4-Test3 from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/3.92/i386/iso/ (get the ones without the SRPMS in the filename), burn to CD, boot from CD1 as usual. The installer should notice you have already got Fedora installed and offer you the chance to upgrade. Take that option and once everything is installed and the machine has rebooted, run "yum update" to get the latest updates.

Good Luck!
C.

From FC4T1 to FC4T3 I only did a yum local update of my fedora-release rpm and got my yum.repos.d updated. From there, yum upgrade did all the rest for me. I plan on doing the same once FC4 comes out - unless, anybody here has any tips on any potential problems if I go about this route in upgrading my Fedora?

Name : fedora-release Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 3.92 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release : 1 Build Date: Thu 05 May 2005 02:47:42 AM SGT
Install Date: Wed 11 May 2005 08:47:15 AM SGT Build Host: decompose.build.redhat.com
Group : System Environment/Base Source RPM: fedora-release-3.92-1.src.rpm
Size : 246393 License: GFDL
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Thu 05 May 2005 02:58:40 AM SGT, Key ID da84cbd430c9ecf8
Packager : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary : Fedora Core release file
Description :
Fedora Core release file
/etc/fedora-release
/etc/issue
/etc/issue.net
/etc/redhat-release
/etc/sysconfig/rhn
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources
/etc/yum.repos.d
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-devel.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras-devel.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates-testing.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
/etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
/usr/share/doc/HTML
/usr/share/doc/HTML/css
/usr/share/doc/HTML/css/content.css
/usr/share/doc/HTML/css/docbook.css
/usr/share/doc/HTML/css/layout.css
/usr/share/doc/HTML/css/print.css
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img/corner-bl.png
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img/corner-br.png
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img/corner-tl.png
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img/corner-tr.png
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img/header-download.png
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img/header-faq.png
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img/header-fedora_logo.png
/usr/share/doc/HTML/img/header-projects.png
/usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/GPL
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/README-Accessibility
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/README-i386-en
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/README-ppc-en
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/README-x86_64-en
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RELEASE-NOTES-i386-en
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RELEASE-NOTES-ppc-en
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RELEASE-NOTES-x86_64-en
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RPM-GPG-KEY
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RPM-GPG-KEY-beta
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-rawhide
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-test
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/RPM-GPG-KEY-rawhide
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/autorun-template
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3.92/eula.txt
/usr/share/eula/eula.en_US
/usr/share/firstboot/modules/eula.py

Selebi-Phikwe Travel Photos - Kaspiysk Photos on Instagram - Bydgoszcz Travel Photos