PDA

View Full Version : Questions of a new user Software & Hardware

Sapo
25th May 2005, 09:20 AM
:confused: Hi everybody, i have a question referent to Install the version of 64 bits over a plataform of 32 bits (P IV, chipset 845), Fedora 64 bits is compatibily whit hardware of 32 bits???, and too the SATA technology??.

Thanks for your answers.

mnisay
25th May 2005, 10:56 AM
mixing cofee withj orange juice ? :) very unique... :)

tejas
25th May 2005, 12:32 PM
mixing cofee withj orange juice ? :) very unique... :)
What mnisay is trying to say is no!

64bit is made for 64bit processors, while 32bits processors can only use 32bits.

The entire system architechure, the way programs are compiled, everything is different.

tashirosgt
25th May 2005, 03:39 PM
I don't think you can install FC3_64 on a 32 bit system. There are some successful SATA installs and others have problems:
http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2921&highlight=confirmed+SATA

jtang613
25th May 2005, 03:56 PM
Tashirosgt is correct. You should install the i386 version. The x86_64 version should only be used on 64bit architectures suchs as the Athlon64.

Jason

Sapo
26th May 2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for yours answers guys, im sad :(, well but in the FC_4 64 bits are any chance that support hardware of 32 bits??? or i have to buy a new computer (no $), in respect to Sata Hard Disk, i can use whit my motherboard 845WN Intel??, thanks guyssss.

jtang613
26th May 2005, 08:18 PM
Don't buy a new computer, just download the proper ISO file(s). FC3 targets both 32bit and 64bit architectures. You simply have the wrong file for your system.

Visit: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/
to download the correct install images.

Jason

Sapo
6th July 2005, 07:15 PM
Don't buy a new computer, just download the proper ISO file(s). FC3 targets both 32bit and 64bit architectures. You simply have the wrong file for your system.

Visit: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/iso/
to download the correct install images.

Jason

Hi guys, i dont want a new computer by now, i just want know if can install the FDC_4 of 64 bits in my computer at 32 bits, i know where download the version for 32 bits, my plan was have soft at 64 in a machine of 32 bits, and later buy new hardware, but well now i have FDC_4 32 bits, and enjoy it, thanks to all guys, bye.

smfinley
6th July 2005, 07:27 PM
Hi guys, i dont want a new computer by now, i just want know if can install the FDC_4 of 64 bits in my computer at 32 bits, i know where download the version for 32 bits, my plan was have soft at 64 in a machine of 32 bits, and later buy new hardware, but well now i have FDC_4 32 bits, and enjoy it, thanks to all guys, bye.

64 bit capable processors like Athlon 64, Opteron and Xeon are supposed to be backwardly compatible with 32 bit instruction sets and are known to run 32 bit editions of Linux. Therefore the i386 isos may work with these.

jtang613
6th July 2005, 08:33 PM
The FC4_64 is for 64-bit architectures (like Althon64 or Opteron).

Download and install the proper version for your architecture.

Jason

jregueral
6th July 2005, 10:49 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a question/problem installing Fedora. It does not matter which core. Thy all have the same problem.

I知 installing Fedora in a Dual PIII PC (ECS D6VAA). Everything works fine except the network connection. The funny thing is that if I choose to boot with the single processor Kernel the network connection works fine and I can browse The Internet, see the other computer on the network, etc.
Now, with the SMP Kernel it is impossible to activate the network card (NIC). Anybody knows where is the mystery?

I think I have try every possible thing in this machine that works perfectly fine with other operating systems (SMP) and the network connection works fine with them. I知 talking about Windows (2k,XP, NT) and Mandrake Linux 10.2

Yes, I知 new to Linux

Thanks.

jtang613
6th July 2005, 11:01 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a question/problem installing Fedora. It does not matter which core. Thy all have the same problem.

I知 installing Fedora in a Dual PIII PC (ECS D6VAA). Everything works fine except the network connection. The funny thing is that if I choose to boot with the single processor Kernel the network connection works fine and I can browse The Internet, see the other computer on the network, etc.
Now, with the SMP Kernel it is impossible to activate the network card (NIC). Anybody knows where is the mystery?

I think I have try every possible thing in this machine that works perfectly fine with other operating systems (SMP) and the network connection works fine with them. I知 talking about Windows (2k,XP, NT) and Mandrake Linux 10.2

Yes, I知 new to Linux

Thanks.
Since you're new, I gotta let you know: Cross-posting is prohibited. Post your message once, only.
You have the same post here (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=300257)

Please read the Guidlines before posting: http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide

Just keeping up the forum standards,
Jason

jregueral
6th July 2005, 11:06 PM
Ok, I'm sorry.

jregueral
6th July 2005, 11:06 PM
jtang613, can you help me?

jtang613
6th July 2005, 11:20 PM
jtang613, can you help me?
I don't have an SMP machine and have never encountered this specific issue. But you could start by examining the /var/log/boot.log, /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg for possible hints to where the problem lies.

Further debugging can be done by examining the output of 'ifconfig eth0 up'

hth,
Jason

Hurghada Instagram Photos - Wetter (Ruhr) Photos on Instagram - Tsukuba